GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turned off by some of the newbies...

Default Turned off by some of the newbies...

Hello everyone,

If you don't know me do a search.

There are A LOT of newbies. I want to welcome you to this forum. It is a great forum with a lot of true technical and first hand experience. I am however a little turned off by people asking questions without doing any work or homework themselves.

I see people asking questions where they could put in some work and by deduction find results and answers. The veterans of the board have been doing this for years. If you ask about a DME #, perhaps go and visit chip tuners like D'Sylva and see what is posted on his site or even ask the man himself. If you have a tire question, you can find similar results and a lot of pertinant advice from the tire rack forums. If you want to know which blue lights look better in your turn signals, you are in the wrong forum.

I posted trying to help about an M5 gauge cluster swap into a non M5 e34. I recieved a reply saying that my information was probably wrong and they feel that it will work and by easy enough. Umm, so if I give my first hand experience to you you will say I don't know what I am talking about? Hmm, look below my name on my posts and you will see that there is an M5 engine and tranny in my e34 525i so I had a donor M5 already. Also, someone asked about swapping in an M5 motor. They said they search and did not find anything. Well, search harder. I found it using alternate words than what he used, just like in google. It worked extremely well and I found it in my 1st try. Just an FYI, I also did a lot of mods to my M50tu and know how things will work, not what I heard.

Stop the hear say. If you want to know and can do it yourself then do it. I have spent a lot of my own time doing research and helping people who are also commited. I am not going to hand over all my time to teach and simply spoon feed those that don't want to learn by experience. Please put in the time. You will get rewarded.

I want to help those who are dedicated. How will I know, well sometimes you simply have to prove yourself. Sorry, I really don't have all the time in the world to help those who won't do their own homework. I want to spread the knowledge of the BMW e34, the secrets, my experience, others' experience, understanding how the design engineers think, etc. I don't want to post something that is easily found out there or somthing I already posted.

Some advice if you are a newbie-newbie.
    1) Go buy the etk on disc, you can find it on ebay or somewhere out there.
    2) Go purchase a Bentley manual for the e34.
    3) Go buy good tools. Sears will have a good sale with the upcoming labor day and go buy a good set. Nothing small, something like 130+ pieces.
    4) Limit the benchtop racing. Go find real world results.
    5) Don't use this space to link to another forum.
    6) If you have a big project, please make a webpage/website for it. Posting it here can make it difficult to sort, see, and understand. We can still comment as you will be posting a thread with the link.
    7) Be very open to feedback.
    8) Understand that we want to maintain a certain maturity as well as keeping this forum useful. We don't want to turn away the e34 veterans that do have a lot of experience and knowledge. hehe, one example, Scott, Kris (DV M5) and I can do a self leveling elimination, change all 4 springs shocks, thrust arms, and minor stuff in under 4 hours total. Now that is a good team.
    9) We do prioritize function of appearance. So, more talk and help is in the running of the car rather than useless strobe lights. That doesn't mean we don't like our cars to look good. Most of us just prefer to keep it to the BMW sporting tradition. There are a lot of other places that do foster the baby blue paint.
    10) Contribute useful information as well as receiving it. Pay it forward.

Thanks for the bandwith.
    Brandon J

hehe my record for pressing new thrust arm bushings into the old arms off the car is around 35 minutes for both sides including putting the car on the lift

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    8) Understand that we want to maintain a certain maturity as well as keeping this forum useful. We don't want to turn away the e34 veterans that do have a lot of experience and knowledge. hehe, one example, Scott, Kris (DV M5) and I can do a self leveling elimination, change all 4 springs shocks, thrust arms, and minor stuff in under 4 hours total
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default But,but but Brandon... I don't want to have to

search for things...(whining tone) I want someone to tell me the right answer or link me right to it.... And I don't want to have to buy a bentley's can't someone show me a freeeee downloadable pdf file of it instead, oh and i also want clickable indexes on the pdf too.. Thats all i want.

Hello everyone,

There are A LOT of newbies. I want to welcome you to this forum. It is a great forum with a lot of true technical and first hand experience. I am however a little turned off by people asking questions without doing any work or homework themselves.

I see people asking questions where they could put in some work and by deduction find results and answers. The veterans of the board have been doing this for years. If you ask about a DME #, perhaps go and visit chip tuners like D'Sylva and see what is posted on his site or even ask the man himself. If you have a tire question, you can find similar results and a lot of pertinant advice from the tire rack forums. If you want to know which blue lights look better in your turn signals, you are in the wrong forum.

I posted trying to help about an M5 gauge cluster swap into a non M5 e34. I recieved a reply saying that my information was probably wrong and they feel that it will work and by easy enough. Umm, so if I give my first hand experience to you you will say I don't know what I am talking about? Hmm, look below my name on my posts and you will see that there is an M5 engine and tranny in my e34 525i so I had a donor M5 already. Also, someone asked about swapping in an M5 motor. They said they search and did not find anything. Well, search harder. I found it using alternate words than what he used, just like in google. It worked extremely well and I found it in my 1st try. Just an FYI, I also did a lot of mods to my M50tu and know how things will work, not what I heard.

Stop the hear say. If you want to know and can do it yourself then do it. I have spent a lot of my own time doing research and helping people who are also commited. I am not going to hand over all my time to teach and simply spoon feed those that don't want to learn by experience. Please put in the time. You will get rewarded.

I want to help those who are dedicated. How will I know, well sometimes you simply have to prove yourself. Sorry, I really don't have all the time in the world to help those who won't do their own homework. I want to spread the knowledge of the BMW e34, the secrets, my experience, others' experience, understanding how the design engineers think, etc. I don't want to post something that is easily found out there or somthing I already posted.

3) Go buy good tools. Sears will have a good sale with the upcoming labor day and go buy a good set. Nothing small, something like 130+ pieces.
    6) If you have a big project, please make a webpage/website for it. Posting it here can make it difficult to sort, see, and understand. We can still comment as you will be posting a thread with the link.
    8) Understand that we want to maintain a certain maturity as well as keeping this forum useful. We don't want to turn away the e34 veterans that do have a lot of experience and knowledge. hehe, one example, Scott, Kris (DV M5) and I can do a self leveling elimination, change all 4 springs shocks, thrust arms, and minor stuff in under 4 hours total. Now that is a good team.
    9) We do prioritize function of appearance. So, more talk and help is in the running of the car rather than useless strobe lights. That doesn't mean we don't like our cars to look good. Most of us just prefer to keep it to the BMW sporting tradition. There are a lot of other places that do foster the baby blue paint.

Thanks for the bandwith.

Default its nice your such a pro

]i went thru this on the e24 board, yea were newbies to e34's, and i know its such a bother to help people, so just dont, im sure there is someone else who will, so u can change out parts quick, well i can do the same on a e24, yet i would never stop to help someone, no matter how simple or how many times its asked, why is this so much a problem for people to help others who are trying to fix there cars? im a aircraft mechanic, and im sure i can do many things u cant, but that dosnt make me not help others, these boards are here to help people, so if its to much for u, than dont!

Its not that Brandon doesnt want to help.
    He offers advice esp re M5 equipment and is ignored or told he is wrong,even tho he has done it!
    Read his post again!
    Gone but not forgotten

Ill do my best
    11/88 535iA

Default word.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the bandwith.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Is 90% good enough?

If one can comply with 9 out of the 10 items you list, can they still participate?

Default Ahhh..the price of membership

And you thought this forum was free.

It'll suck the soul out of you if you let the crowd get to you with redundant problems, unheeded advice, panic threads "Help My car just...", PMs, pissing matches, OT stuff and over the top mods.

It's a community of some professionals, experts, experianced amatures, those who give advice, those who take advice, those who learn from others, and those who well,.. just need to make their own mistakes so we can all laugh and learn at their expenese.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

what is a thrust arm...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast