GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turned off by some of the newbies...

I think many of the "rules" stated in the first post is more out of common courtesy, and apply to most forums out there in wonderful Internet land, not just this one. I also see a contradiction or two.

The point of doing a search first before asking a question is common courtesy, and prevents the same questions being asked over and over again. Unfortunately with a forum of this size or larger, you will always get a handful or more newbies asking these questions without doing a search.

Things can be done to prevent or minimise this occurring. Have everyone who sees that thread to post someting along the lines of "HEY NOOB, DO A FREAKING SEARCH YOU NUMBNUTS", deleting the thread (admin intervention) or ban the new user, which is probably not something so desired.

I think it has to be said that either way, this forum, like all the others on the internet, are dealing with people behind a screen, new and old, from all corners of the globe. You're gonna get the odd person not following the rules, either via pure ignorance, or just genuinely don't know them.

One good way of combatting this is doing the search yourself, then post every URL to that topic. There is an Australian broadband forum that I frequent where I do the same, I also post the time it took me to find the URLs (usually under 10 seconds), and tell them that if I can find all that in under 10 seconds, and you know how to use a mouse and keyboard, I am sure you are more than capable of doing the same. It's very effective if there are more than say a dozen links or so. No insults are required, and you've made the newbie look like a fool for not knowing how to tie his own proverbial shoelaces. You've helped him out (thereby fulfilling moral obligations), but embarrassed him at the same time by displaying to the world how much of a dummkopf he can be

It wasn't long ago when I first joined up, and although I'm not the quintessential newbie that doesn't have a clue other than turn the ignition key, I'm very very far from the stage of being able to change my thrust arms and spring shocks in under 4 hours. If someone has told you that the way you're doing it is wrong, then prove them wrong. Detail each step and explain why your way is doing right. You're basically complaining about someone having an opinion. Humans disagree all the time.

Even though statistically I would be what others would call a "newbie" in here, I am committed to my car, just like anyone else -- I have already spent more than 1K on my car, and have about another 3.6K left to go until it's to the condition that I want it at. I've bought the Bentley manual (at full price -- AU$149), I've got the quality tool kit (using Dad's ), but I haven't done an M5 conversion on my 525i!

My point is, there are newbies, and then there are newbies who want to learn. We don't have that much knowledge as many of you in here, we are willing to learn, and if there was something that we knew about E34s that you guys didn't know about, you'd all be the first to know.

Either way, these two groups of newbies are inevitable to come across in forums of this size and larger. I find that the newbies that just ask a question without searching usually disappear as quick as they appeared, so personally I don't see it as anything to get upset over.

It just irks me that there are some in here that have somewhat of an "elitist" BMW attitude and feel that they don't have the need to answer someone's questions, whether searched or not, simply because it is too trivial of an answer to provide.

Default Do a google under "Fisting"

up to the elbow, wristwatch and all..

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by barry 90 525i
    ]i went thru this on the e24 board, yea were newbies to e34's, and i know its such a bother to help people, so just dont, im sure there is someone else who will, so u can change out parts quick, well i can do the same on a e24, yet i would never stop to help someone, no matter how simple or how many times its asked, why is this so much a problem for people to help others who are trying to fix there cars? im a aircraft mechanic, and im sure i can do many things u cant, but that dosnt make me not help others, these boards are here to help people, so if its to much for u, than dont!
    +1
    CraigMo's Black BMW + M50 5-speed + 3.64 LSD + Conforti Chip/NGK Plugs + Z3 SSK + Magnaflow + Koni/Eibach + 17" MMII Miglia + 245/45/HTRZ + 850 Front/540 Rear Brakes + UUC S.S. Lines + Shadowline

If we kept the old forum format, the newbies would run away...
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Well said, Brandon.

However, as I have said before, this forum is a product of its own success. If it wasn't such a great place for info, no novices would stop by or join.

We cannot regulate every new thread post, but we have to hope that from time to time posts like Brandon's appear and help restore balance.

Personally, as a very incompetent and amateur mechanic, I will be forever thankful to this forum for all the help it has given me - both directly and indirectly.

Without you guys my head gasket replacement would not have been possible.

All you novices, please search first, make sure that the post contains all details about your car(s) and please have some consideration and manners.

Cheers,

Bo

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Default yes, nubiles over newbies

yum

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Hey you stinkin NOOB! It's common courtesy to post NWS with stuff like that so some poor guy doesn't loose his job.

i will pwn u d00d
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    up to the elbow, wristwatch and all..
    I'm still busting up
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast