GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!! '93 M5 runs rough/stalls when warm.

Default Help!!!! '93 M5 runs rough/stalls when warm.

I have a 93 M5 with 95K miles that recently developed a consistent problem. The car starts OK and runs fine until it reaches normal operating temperature. As soon as that happens, the car runs very rough if you let it operate below 3000 RPM.

In fact, this past weekend I was out and the car stalled at an intersection. It wouldn't start for over 90 minutes. I ended up having to jump the car the last two times I tried to get it to start (using the specific BMW procedure for doing this so I didn't fry anything) and it still wouldn't start.

Finally I ended up towing the car home and hooked up the battery charger. An hour later the car finally started, and I ran it just long enough to power it into the garage.

Note: I searched this and other BMW forums looking for any clue what might be causing these symptoms. Some of the items I checked below are a direct result of finding similar problems in the forum(s) and following those steps.

- I have done a visual inspection of all the vacuum hoses and they all appear to be in good shape. (I plan on replacing all of them just to be sure).
    - I unhooked the battery and checked the ECU for evidence of burned circuit lands and found nothing suspicious.
    - e-box fan works at both normal and high speeds.
    - I removed and checked the rubber boot between the MAF sensor/plenum and it looked OK (it had been replaced 3 yrs ago).
    - There were no stored error codes.
    - Fuel and air filters have been replaced.
    - Main Relay and Fuel Pump relay have been replaced.
    - Considering replacing battery but don't really believe this is the source of the problem.

Started the car again and the same problem presented itself after warmup.

Here's what I think I can discount as a cause of the problem...
    - Vacuum Leak: This should also have an effect on a cold engine (unless the leak develops as the engine warms up) or some vacuum line that is enabled at operating temperature has a leak.
    - Fuel Pump: Why would it wait for a warm engine to act up? Engine will keep running (poorly) if revs kept above 3000.
    - O2 Sensor: Considered this but wouldn't I get some sort of error code if this were the source of the problem?

I am desperate for any ideas that might help me put the car back on the road and enjoy it...

Anyone have any ideas where I can look next/try???

Throttle position sensor? Vapor lock? I am not smart with these issues, but I did cross post this to the e34M5 Yahoo group list--I will report back with my findings there from the experts' mouths...I suggest you go over to Yahoo and join that group regardless--they are a very knowledgeable bunch of guys. Good luck and stay tuned!

Thanks for feedback..

I checked the TPS also and it checked out OK... 0 ohms at both idle and WOT positions. I suppose that it could be a vapor lock of some sort, although I haven't seen any instances of that problem relating to my symptoms -- and there has been no rerouting of the fuel lines from factory positions and all heat shields are in place. Any clues on how to check out the possibility of a vapor lock?

I'll check out the e34M5 Yahoo Group -- thanks for the suggestion...

is this correct???

Quote Originally Posted by m3driver97
    I checked the TPS... 0 ohms at both idle and WOT positions.
    you dont have vapor lock dude.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Vapor lock in the fuel system (you could try insulating the fuel rail to keep some of the heat out, or the check valve in the in-tank fuel pump went bad. The good news is that this is a 3 dollar fix with a 5 dollar shipping cost

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/535ihot_start.asp

That's the how to..

Here's the BMW part number which if you call BMA, they can get it to you, but you can't search this number on their website since its under construction. 16-14-9-068-988 I had a very similar problem on my 525, and after putting this in, I've been running, starting, and idling just fine. For so little, its peace of mind.

newbie answers

the stupid thing i did after cleaning my engine was i left water around the spark plg boots.
    My 525i 93 acted just like yours. It should not have run at all but its a bimmer.

roger

the O2 sensors do kick in when the cats get warm, so they could be to blame. and they dont always throw a code. if you havent replaced them in the last 50K, do it and be done with it.

the system could "think" its running too rich, so it leans it out to the point where its not combusting properly. i would use something that measures all the DME inputs at once, and see which one goes nuts when the engine freaks out.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Thanks for all the feedback -- particulary to VentoGT for cross-posting to the E34M5 Yahoo group.

I plan to check the dist. cap for water/condensation per Gary Derian and also replace cap/rotor/plugs in any event as a maintenance item. Also plan on ordering a replacement O2 sensor since it doesn't appear to have been changed per the maintenance history.

Also plan on borrowing/buying a fuel pressure gauge and see how the fuel pump/FPR are doing. Have most of the vacuum lines on order and already have the o-rings for the throttle body/plenum attachment. Also plan to check out the temperature sensor per the Bentley manual.

If anyone comes up with something else I should be checking please let me know...

Regards, Brent

im going to replace my air intake sensor before winter, its like, $20.

if you run upper cylinder lube (Lucas or FP60) in your gas, your fuel pump will last significantly longer, and the injectors and engine like it too.

check the resistance of the ignition coil as well, 13 years later it could be making much less power then it did new.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Here are the responses from the e34M5 yahoo group--

1. Hi there,

I had a problem with mine much like this. I had thought fuel pump as well. However, I found the top of the ignition coil & ignition wire going to it completely burned into a pile of carbon dist. I have seen corrosion at this connector before also causing stumbles on acceleration. Hope this helps...or at least one more thing to rule out.

Andrei

2. Pull the distributor cap and dry the water in it. I had a similar problem a
    few years ago. It was very odd. I checked everything, including installing
    a fuel pressure gauge and watching it while driving.

The engine would misfire very badly once the engine warmed up, but not in
    concert with the water or oil temp. I could start it and run it for 5
    minutes, then shut it off and wait for the heat to migrate to the
    distributor. That would do it, even though the water was cold.

Gary Derian

I saw that you are registered on the Yahoo board--it's a great group of folks. I wanted to post answers in this forum so that if anyone else searched opinions on a similar matter they would be here for everyone to see. Good luck and keep us updated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast