GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1994 530i I BROKE THE 4 INCH BOLT INSIDE OF THE ENGINE

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i I BROKE THE 4 INCH BOLT INSIDE OF THE ENGINE

Joe here in Orlando, Florida

I am sorry to bother so much but I am so confused right about now.

I broke the 4 inch bolt as I was replacing the water pump. I have been getting advice from a different forum. I couldn't get them to understand until a guy posted this figure below. Now someone is saying that if I drill what is left of the bolt which is only 1/2 inch, the broken bolt may drop down into the cavity of the engine. Can someone please verify this?

|------------- 4" ---------------- |
    |--1/2"-|
    -----------------------------------
    |/ / / / /{

dont know for definate but that sounds unlikely, even on **** cars the bolts never protrude through the timing cover, let alone the block. did it shear off when you were tightening it of undoing it? if it was when you were tightening it you might get it out with a stud remover. theyre a conical left hand thread bit, sort of like a tap. if you drill a small hole about 3/8'' deep and then turn in the stud remover it should come out without damaging the thread in the block. hope this helps

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by cortez
    dont know for definate but that sounds unlikely, even on **** cars the bolts never protrude through the timing cover, let alone the block. did it shear off when you were tightening it of undoing it? if it was when you were tightening it you might get it out with a stud remover. theyre a conical left hand thread bit, sort of like a tap. if you drill a small hole about 3/8'' deep and then turn in the stud remover it should come out without damaging the thread in the block. hope this helps
    The bolt is broken inside of the chasis. I broke the bolt as I was tightening the bolt. The bolt is normally 4 inch long. Only 3 1/2 inch came out of the hole. The bolt only has one (1) inch of threads on the end. 1/2 inch of the threads are remaining inside the engine. Here's is the diagram once again.

Question is again will the bolt fall into the cavity of the chasis and may I still be able to remove the bolt with a stud remover?

|------------- 4" ---------------- | <--Water Pump Bolt Normal Size
    |--1/2"-| <--Water Pump Bolt Broken with 1/2 inch inside of engine chasis
    |/ / / / /{ <--Water Pump 4 inch Bolt has threads only at one end

HERE IS A DIAGRAM OF THE WATER PUMP THE BOLT IS #4 ON THE DIAGRAM, THERE ARE TWO (2) OF THESE BOLTS BUT ONLY ONE SHOW IN THE PICTURE

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=11&fg=35

Last edited by Green Bimmer; 08-11-2006 at 12:02 PM.