GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: rebuild on tranny gone bad..

Default rebuild on tranny gone bad..

I broke down a 4hp22 and reasembled it from the ground up. I replaced all the fiber discs and the steels on the forward clutch. I got it put in nice and smooth since this is the second time.

The car started up and I backed it up out of the driveway and drove it for about 8 miles and it shifted like it was new. The next day I went to back out of a parking spot after driving it about 5 miles and Reverse would not kick in. I pushed it out of the spot then drove it back to work and it seemed to not shift into 3rd.

From what I can read in the factory manual then it all points to the B clutch. The nasty basket near the end that contains 2 packs that you need to shimmy in near the end of the rebuild. I am thinking I did not get the basket totally put in and burned up these clutches.

Any ideas on this?

It is way out of my league to begin with. The fact I will as soon get rid of an auto transmission is irrelevant.

My experience tearing things apart to re-asssemble tells me I am human. I am actually more human than the average. The mistakes I made fixing my cars is a good indication.

I wish you luck.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

could have been a seal that didnt get fitted right, take er back apart and dive in deeper. you will figure it out one of these times . the point that it worked one day kinds points to something marginal such as a seal that only lasted so long, loose valve body? Did you upgrade it too?.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I put in a overhaul kit which comes with all seals and the fiber discs. I did put a new torque converter on it also. I tell you if I break this down again and get it together its only because the damn thing was driving so smooth for that one day.

I think with these cars you can't have them running always or you would not appreciate it when you fix it.

I'll do a tear down tonight and let you know. I am getting dang good at it now. I can pull and put in a tranny in this car on jackstands in 8 hours. I am guessing it will take 2 to pull it and 3 to put it back this time. Ah well.

umm...did you get the valvebody upgrade kit? This could be the source of all your problems.

edit linky:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...pgrade&spell=1
    before qube gives you a ticket.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 08-11-2006 at 04:32 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    umm...did you get the valvebody upgrade kit? This could be the source of all your problems.

edit linky:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...pgrade&spell=1
    before qube gives you a ticket.

No, I did get all my parts from Axiom. I recall seeing a valve body upgrade kit there. What does it consist of and what do you do with it?

it should include a new spacerplate, balls and some springy things...never saw one but it will fix a problem that is well known, the balls wear and get stuck in the spacerplate and burn the clutch packs.

last I knew a replacement valve body is around $400 exchange and about 250 for the kit if you want to fix it yourself.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy