GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailing Question for ya'll?

Default Detailing Question for ya'll?

I used 3m hand glaze this weekend and man did it shine up my car good! But... there are some more scratches and marks that could come out with better polish:

What is a good polish, and a good wax?

Also, what is good for cleaning and conditioning leather?

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

I used 3m hand glaze followed by blitz wax for the last couple of years. This time I used a clay bar. Meguires paint cleaner, polish and their new NXT wax. The car looks new. I've never seen it so shiny or white. Gotten a few comments form people who used to say how great it looks but now they can't believe how new it looks. My arm still hurts though.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

did someone say detailing? :-)...can give you a few polishes to consider. You need to go a bit deeper to get the scratches out. A glaze is more a mascara than a paint improver....has oils and fillers that obscure imperfections not repair them....not a bad thing...if fact most helpful but you need to repair your clearcoat a bit before you go glaze. 3M SMR (Swirl Mark Remover) is very popular medium level polish. Macquires Step #2 is an old reliable polish between a cleaner and wax. The latest is Einszett Metallic Polish...the cats a$$ of polishes...real good stuff. I have turned up the heat on my detailing skills and bought a Porter Cable Random Orbital. If you are a real car guy and want to make your car to glisten..buy a PC...the orbital of choice among top details. Use an orange pad with SMR or Einszett Metallic Polish then white pad with P21 GEPC which is a hybrid glaze/very light polish with gloss enhancers and finish with a top pure carbuna...not cleaner carnuba...lot of good choices out there....P21S paste carnuba is one of the best.
    HTH,
    George

Default Man, ya'll are great!!

SO the macguires #2 is a polish? will it shine and get rid of the imperfections? Also, that einzett stuff, is it good for that as well? I am a total newbie, so I really do appreciate the help. I am already addicted lol.... My wife is like "great, another hobby for a man addicted to about 5 million things" including golf, working on flowers and garden stuff, playing socom on playstation, playin with my 9 month old.... and on and on

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

yeah, step 2 is the polish I used before the wax.

Check out this site:
    www.autopia.org

some good articles on there.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Default Wait... So you're supposed to use a polish and a wax?

What's the difference? I'm venturing into the world of polishing and waxing next week, before my first driver training/track day. I also want to make the chrome around the windows shine, but nothing seems to work.

I saw a special on Macguires (sp?) the other day, so I thought I could just get a x-step system or something? What works great and is easy? Is that stuff just called "step 2".

Dan, you can just use step 2 if the finish is already good. Mine (also alpine white) had not been polished for some time, so using the #1 first takes out a lot of the grime etc off the paint. Also makes applying #2 real easy. Both are very mild liquid based easy on / easy off treatments. I have not ventured into the wax (#3) yet. We are still under water restictions for the last 6 months so washing the car is a very rare occurance.

John 535is (Alpine white 1989)

Let us know how long the NXT wax lasts. Very curious. I too have been a 3M hand glaze and Blitz Wax guy for a while. Have been very happy. Makes the car look nice and the wax is easy to apply and buff and lasts a long, long time. I like shiney cars as much as the next guy, but long lasting protection trumps the super deep glossy shine criterium on my daily ride.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

George, how long does the P21S last? I have heard great things about the shine, but that it is better for the garage queen (OK, I have one too!) than it is for the daily ride. What does your experiece show as far as that is concerned?

That's the whole reason I use the Blitz Wax. Always looking for a better mouse trap, but I have to admit, that stuff is pretty tough to beat as far as easy to use and long lasting!

TIA
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

I can give you a second vote for the P21S. I have used it for years and think it lasts longer then the Blitz. BUT, the best part is that it won't mark up the black trim. I even wax some of the trim and it deepens the blackness (is that a word). It's worth switching just for that purpose. I have a can of Blitz if anyone wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super90
    George, how long does the P21S last? I have heard great things about the shine, but that it is better for the garage queen (OK, I have one too!) than it is for the daily ride. What does your experiece show as far as that is concerned?

That's the whole reason I use the Blitz Wax. Always looking for a better mouse trap, but I have to admit, that stuff is pretty tough to beat as far as easy to use and long lasting!

TIA
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast