GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans Program!!!

Default Trans Program!!!

I know there are mounds of posts out there already, but just needed to relieve some stress.

Driving Fiance to interview about 20miles away, cruising at 50mph, then my revs shoot up, acceleration decreases, and I knew what was going to happen next, Trans program pops up on the display.

The car regained composure after I came to a slow stop at the light. but when taking off again, a "thud" is heard/felt leaving first gear. Not too sure either when/if it changes to 3rd or 4th, but I'm able to drive it around 45 still at 3000 rpm.

After this interview is over going straight to indy to have fluid levels checked (i pray its only fluid). and to top it off, while tense about the tranny, hit a series of smaller bunps, hear "clankity clanlk" and see a bolt shaped object get tossed behind the car... no telling what it was.

I'm sitting in the car now outside of this office, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

tow truck to indys? dont sound like a good thing to be driving it around like that!!!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Oh man... I don't want to me in your shoes... but we'll be here for you!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Default Dont Panic !

Quote Originally Posted by saj3n
    I know there are mounds of posts out there already, but just needed to relieve some stress.

The car regained composure after I came to a slow stop at the light. but when taking off again, a "thud" is heard/felt leaving first gear. Not too sure either when/if it changes to 3rd or 4th, but I'm able to drive it around 45 still at 3000 rpm.

I'm sitting in the car now outside of this office, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!
    Sounds similar to the symptoms I had with my 530i (see my post, dated yesterday for full story). If I were you I would get the fluid level checked first (presumably the 530i is not a sealed-for-life trans, so Dexron III would be ok rather than the special stuff needed for a sealed-for-life ?)

Secondly, and concurrently, I would get the codes from the EGS (Trans-ECU) read. Mine due to low fluid were 5,16 and 100.

I think the low fluid scenario can cause the revs not to match those required for the speed of the car as the fluid slops forward on stopping and backwards on acceleration, thus fooling the sensors and delivering the wrong information to the trans-ECU, and hence the fault codes registered.

If the fluid level checks out OK then pay more attention to the codes as they'll likely point to the problem (e.g. trans speed sensor). If its points to the speed sensor, there is a post on here somewhere which documents what the resistance should be (in Kilo-Ohms if OK and it'll be Mega-Ohms if its duff).

Dont panic - yet - I bet its fluid or speed sensor.
    Cheers.
    1994 E34 530i MTech UK 137,000 Miles 45,000 on Alusil

I had the same codes as you. We tested just a few moments ago. Also tested while the car was being driven. It seems as if the trans speed sensor does not kick in/code does not show, until the car reaches about 600 rpm... Another 530i at the shop, we test drove this one too, had same codes, however, the trans speed sensor kicks in at 100 rpm... Indy thinks this may be the problem as the car runs perfect, shifts normally, until trans prog message comes on. After its reset, or car sits for a while and it resets itself, the transmission shifts smoothly. So I had him take a look at it, checking levels first, then dropping the pan to see if there's any metal around. If not, going to then replace the speed sensor, as this might be the reason it's also throwing the code 100....
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Quote Originally Posted by saj3n
    I had the same codes as you. ....
    Was fluid level OK ?

If it drives fine without the surging etc and the *only* problem is that it throws the trans program fault then it could be that it needs the updated eprom which has a wider tolerance (for older trans') for pressures and/or sensor values. About 20 bucks from the stealer.

I think if it is the speed sensor then you might get other symptoms, like a rev surge or drop off just before the trans program fault. However, you can check the resistance of the speed sensor to rule it in or out.

Cheers.
    1994 E34 530i MTech UK 137,000 Miles 45,000 on Alusil

OK, So here's what's been done:

1. Fluid checked, level ok, fluid pretty burned, but the level is ok.
    2. The speed sensors were tested by measuing the ohms between the 2 sensors, they came out even (I guess that means they're ok)
    3. The pan was dropped and there was no metal in the pan, giving the impression that so far it doesn't look like a mechanical problem, but can't say for certain.

I did get the rev surge right before the trans program fault the first time, revs shot up, and no acceleration.... Should I take the chance? its $200 with parts and labor for the sensor... I'm down $100 already.....

I'm at a loss! I need some advice!

its really hit or miss...i personally would just bite the bullet and get a new speed sensor. This way you have a brand new one and you dont have to worry about it ever again (almost)....

and hopefully that its the cure to your problems!

I do hope that it is the cure. It just bugs me that theres no definitive answer...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast