GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement (Broken 4" Bolt inside Engine) JUST NOT MY DAY!!

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement (Broken 4" Bolt inside Engine) JUST NOT MY DAY!!

Joe in Orlando
    1994 530i

broken bolt inside engine when installing water pump. Can someone please tell me how can I get the broken bolt out of the engine myself? The bolt is normally 4 inches long but 1/2 inch is stuck inside the engine.
    Last edited by Green Bimmer; 08-09-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Looking at the picture of my v8 when it was still in the car, I think with the radiator removed, you'll have enough space to work with. You need enough space for a drill. The water pump needs to be removed of course. So is the throttle body. You may want to also remove the flex damper.

Go to Home Depot to get yourself a set of Cobalt drill bits. The trade name is Blue Mol. These drill bits go through steel like butter. But you need to be careful because the aluminum block is actually softer than the stuck bolt. The Cobalt bits are also quite brittle being so hard.

Use a center punch (the smallest size finished nail punch) to punch an indentation right in the center of the broken shank so you can start your first drill bit centered. Start with the smallest drill bit to drill into the shank. Don't go deeper than the broken shank. You don't want to drill into the block. Increase the drill bit size one at a time until you reach the maximum bit size required by the proper size bolt extractor. Then use the bolt extractor to get the shank out.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Whether to remove the hood is up to you. Considering the criticality of the task, I'd remove it so you can work directly in front of the engine.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

try to find a set of reverse drill bits, then do like yaofang says, sometimes the reverse bits will unscrew the part stuck in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bimmer
    Joe in Orlando
    1994 530i

broken bolt inside engine when installing water pump. Can someone please tell me how can I get the broken bolt out of the engine myself? The bolt is normally 4 inches long but 1/2 inch is stuck inside the engine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Green Bimmer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    Looking at the picture of my v8 when it was still in the car, I think with the radiator removed, you'll have enough space to work with. You need enough space for a drill. The water pump needs to be removed of course. So is the throttle body. You may want to also remove the flex damper.

Go to Home Depot to get yourself a set of Cobalt drill bits. The trade name is Blue Mol. These drill bits go through steel like butter. But you need to be careful because the aluminum block is actually softer than the stuck bolt. The Cobalt bits are also quite brittle being so hard.

Use a center punch (the smallest size finished nail punch) to punch an indentation right in the center of the broken shank so you can start your first drill bit centered. Start with the smallest drill bit to drill into the shank. Don't go deeper than the broken shank. You don't want to drill into the block. Increase the drill bit size one at a time until you reach the maximum bit size required by the proper size bolt extractor. Then use the bolt extractor to get the shank out.

Thank you sir for your help but the bolt that is broken is one of the 4 inch ones. When the bolt broke 1/2 inch remains inside of the engine block (I can't see the bolt).

I know there is on m6 bolt longer than the rest. But no matter. If you can get the parts removed to that shown in the picture, you can extract the broken bolt. I forgot which hole the long bolt goes to. You should know more now.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement (Broken 4" Bolt inside Engine) Using 3M GASKET SEAL

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    try to find a set of reverse drill bits, then do like yaofang says, sometimes the reverse bits will unscrew the part stuck in there.
    1994 530i
    Joe in Orlando

Recently I tried to replace my water pump but broke one of the four inch bolts in the chasis. Today I was told by a mechanic that I could use 3M Gasket Seal and put the water pump back into place and then put the glue the broken bolt back into place without any worry. He ensured me that after I did this the water pump would not leak, but he did tell me that if it leaked he would toll my car to his shop and tap the hole and charge me $100.00 (which is normally a $200.00 job).

Default Scary...

he forgot the wire hanger and chewing gum.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Green Bimmer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    he forgot the wire hanger and chewing gum.
    What do you suggest? I Read all of the other suggestions and they failed to understand that the bolt is a 4 inches and not the shorter ones. I can't use a center punch because I can't see the bolt. I can't use a reverse drill the bolt broken off at the 3 1/2 inch point. So what can I do? One guy suggested that I remove the front portion of the chasis (NO WAY!).

This has happened to me. I drilled a hole in the centre of the bolt and inserted an 'easy-out' reverse drill. That then broke off inside the stuck bolt!!! I used a good quality drill bit as stated before and drilled as close to the same size as the stuck bolt so as just to leave the thread remaining. I then tapped the hole and stuck a new bolt in. Be really careful if you are going to tap the hole yourself. Only turn the tap about a 1/4 of a turn at a time. Good luck.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast