GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate tire shops

Default Why I hate tire shops

So, about 2 months ago I take the bimmer in to get the tires flopped side to side on the rims. Needed to do that to mitigate some wear.

Take it to the local, reputable tire shop and sit there for the hour this is supposed to take. Have a very clear discussion with the shop manager that

a) I want the tires flopped side to side on the rims. Not rotated.
    b) NO hammer on weights. Tape weights, only in inside of the rim.
    c) Torque the wheels to 80lbs

Here's the results.

- pickup attempt number 1. Two of the four tires flopped. Other two rotated only. Send the car back, wait another 30 minutes.

- Pickup attempt number 2. Tires now flopped correctly. Hammer on weights installed on rears. Have discussion with Shop Foreman who concurs this is wrong. Watch shop guy tear of weights with pliers nicking powder coating. Have second discussion with Shop Foreman, who cuts price in half for mistakes.

- Last night. Go to investigate front end clunk, need to remove front wheel. Get out typical breaker bar / 17mm socket setup. Huh...sheesh..this is tight. Uuuuugh...puuuuush...SNAP...WTF??? Hmm. That Craftsman 3/8 socket wall just broke. Get 1/2" socket out. Repeat. SNAP! $#%@^ another broken socket wall. Get out tire iron...kick loosen all 5 lug nuts with full body weight.

Soooo...what do you want to wager that homey at the tire shop ran the lug nuts down with the impact wrench? They must have been at least 150lbs or more.

Of course, I only did one wheel. I'm frosted enough to go back to the shop and make bit of scene as I tell them to correctly re-torque my wheels. Grrrr. PISSMEOFFIDIOTCAN'TFOLLOWSODAMNBASICINSTRUCTIONSEV ENTHOUGHTTHISISWHATYOUDO EFERYSINGLEF'INDAY.

Oh..the shop for those local? Les Schwab at the corner of 148th and Northup. Bellevue WA. Stay away. Evil.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Think this is the third story at least about tire shops screwing up. Always try and watch them work so you can slap them as soon as they pickup that impact wrench! Of course, the really anal will have them put in writing, a warranty of sorts should their negligence in chipping the coating cause corrosion.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I feel your pain, i think i may have been one of qubes three stories...except they rotated staggered wheels...long storyyy...painful memories...if anything goes wrong..have your mechanic fix it and bill them!

My positive experience
    MY local tire store has treated me very well. I take the car in every 5,000 or so miles and have each tire rotated and balance. Rotation is free since I bought the tires there. They use the Hunter system to balance. Balance is perfect every time. They use a torque wrench to tighten the wheels at the spec I ask. Since i have stock wheels, not issue with clip on weights. never seen a scratched wheel. I sent an e-mail to the tire store's owner complimenting the shop for their work. I have used this place for 15 years at least.

BTW, 40,000 miles on and plenty of tread left on Bridgestone Turanza H tires.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Next time go see Russ @ FTL in the Juanita/Bothell area.

It's a side business so you can go up at night or on the weekend. Does the work while you wait and is less expensive. Call ahead for an appointment though.

Default I told Jeff about that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximabello
    Next time go see Russ @ FTL in the Juanita/Bothell area.

It's a side business so you can go up at night or on the weekend. Does the work while you wait and is less expensive. Call ahead for an appointment though.
    And last year we had the same conversation, but I stated that is where yer money goes with StrictlyBMW. Sure, they cost a little more up front, but the wheels aren't damaged, & ya have a fairly good assurance that things won't go bad. &, yer throwing some money at a decent group of guys.
    Oh well, let's anticipate the same whinning again next year.
    erased due to slander

I'm definetly one of them 3 stories but mine was more painful with Big O tire bending one brand new wheel and scratching 2 others. Discount and my endless wheel balance problems and out of round tires "must be the car, this is the second set of tires".
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default No..I completely dorfmanned it...

...but isn't it a sad indictment that those boobs who do this every single day STILL can't get something that simple right?

Russ it is. BTW, I quit doing Strictly after you know who (yes - him) hammered on rim weights on the 850 rims. That was sort of the end for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    And last year we had the same conversation, but I stated that is where yer money goes with StrictlyBMW. Sure, they cost a little more up front, but the wheels aren't damaged, & ya have a fairly good assurance that things won't go bad. &, yer throwing some money at a decent group of guys.
    Oh well, let's anticipate the same whinning again next year.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    ...I quit doing Strictly after you know who (yes - him) hammered on rim weights on the 850 rims. That was sort of the end for me.
    I thought Strictly might have been out since yer drill walked away while we were trying to get a front crank nut loosened.
    That Russ is definitely a good option. I went over there with Erik once. His wife has an impressive e36.
    erased due to slander

And I was the other....

After hearing their "ASE Certified Tech" tell me that vibration is caused by bad alignment, impact wrenching the lugs on 30 secs after I said to use a torque wrench, and insisting that they know how to align a BMW, but know nothing of the weights required, I just don't trust any of them.

Unfortunatley, since I don't have my own tire mounting machine (yet ), I have to go somewhere. Of all the tire shops I've been to, I'd have to say that the Goodyear ones are pretty decent. They may just be good, or they may remember me from correcting them a few times, who knows. Probably neither and I just got lucky. In any event, least number of mistakes from them.

Jeff, I feel your pain.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast