GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ignition key won't turn

Default ignition key won't turn

i went to use my car today , put the key in the ignition and it only just lets off the steering lock, let go of the key and the steering lock clicks back on. iv'e sprayed some duck oil into the barrel wiggled the key back and forth and side to side i've even tried to get the lock tumbler out with a small allen key ,but i believe the lock has to be in position 2 to do this, what do i do next f***in gert hammer i suppose

Remove the BMW roundel from the steering wheel where the big nut is which holds the steering wheel. Use a hammer and hit it while at the same time trying to turn the ignition key. There is a steel bar which might be sticking and with the hammering it might get lose again and then you can turn the key. Here you can see the pin hanging down, look at the steering column (red) and from there straight down. If that pin retracts, you can turn the ignition key. Remove the battery cables first, if you have an airbag system.
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/da...veCluster1.jpg

I had the same prob only i was 300Km from home and 300 Km from my journey, I took off the steering covers and pulled out the white connector with the cords that go to the ignition and then used a screwdriver to turn the pin and start the car, I had to change the ignition and there was some sort of pin that was also broken behind the ignition switch as well. The actual parts were cheap but it took the locksmiths about 3 hours to figure out what the pin was for.

the pin does retract and you can move the steering wheel , but the key won't turn any further than that, i'll try giving it a whack in a bit, i'm just waiting for some one to turn up with a big ass socket so i can get the wheel off it, so i can have a closer look

nizmainiac - sent you a PM.
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    i went to use my car today , put the key in the ignition and it only just lets off the steering lock, let go of the key and the steering lock clicks back on. iv'e sprayed some duck oil into the barrel wiggled the key back and forth and side to side i've even tried to get the lock tumbler out with a small allen key ,but i believe the lock has to be in position 2 to do this, what do i do next f***in gert hammer i suppose
    Your problem is with the steering lock, rather than the ignition switch per se.

There is probably a small retainer pin that broke inside the steering lock, jamming it. Keep fiddling with the key and it may come loose, unjamming the st. lock. Still, you need to retreive the broken pin or else it may jam again.

The key must be turned ~60 degrees before the tumbler aligns so you can insert an allen wrench, paper clip, etc.

I may still have pics, and will email them to you if so.

I removed the entire ign. switch/steering lock from the steering column to work on it.

Mine did that twice to me.

My solution was to tap the barrel with a rubber mallet, It fixed it straight away and I've not had the problem return for 4 months now.

It is a common problem with all the 80- mid 90 BM's.

The pin doesn't have to be broken to cause the problem, 16 years of dust is enough to cause the cast locking parts to freeze up from time to time.

DO NOT USE CRC OR WD-40 AS THESE WILL CAUSE THE BARREL TO DIE A SLOW DEATH, ONLY USE GRAPHITE POWDER ON THE BARREL!!!
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

well , i got the steering off and i still can't get the ignition switch past position 1, i'm thinking that i might have to use a slide hammer and pull the whole lot out and get a new column, i'll have another go at it tomorrow and see what happens

I'm not exactly sure the slide hammer will do anything but gut the ig. lock, leaving the steering lock still jammed. I suspect your problem is not the ig. lock itself, which would be ruined in using a slide hammer.

When I removed the entire assy from the steering column, I could work on a table, turn the assy. over, etc. to clear the jam, thus allowing the key to go to 60 degrees for removal, then access to the internal st. lock, per pics I sent you.

the slide hammer is more of a last resort than anything else, when i turn the key the steering lock pin goes up but not all the way into the housing like it should, indicating a jam somewhere, like you said, i'll have another bash at it tomorrow, see if i can figure it out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast