GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Turns But Won't Start - HELP NEEDED -

Default Engine Turns But Won't Start - HELP NEEDED -

I have a E34 1995 540i. The other day the car suddenly dies when I was reversing out of my parking space. It then would turn over but won't start.

I drain the battery a bit trying to start the engine quit a few times, so I decided to recharge the battery.

The next morning, I banged on the bottom of the gas tank to see if it might be a stuck fule pump. The car started and I was able to drive it around with no problem, until I pulled over to try testing starting the car a few times, after the third time the engine die and would turn over, but won't start.

I can't remember if it died when I shifted into reverse or when I was trying to start it before putting it into reverse. But I tried banging on the bottom of the tank and turning the engine until the battery was drained. When the tow truck driver came he tried to jump start my car, again it turned over but won't start.

I figure that since it turned it should not be the electrical, but I could be making the wrong guess. Focusing on the fuel delivery system as a possible culprit, I decide to change the fuel filters, since it has been a long time since I changed them. After changing the fuel fitlers, it still would turn over but again, won't start.

I wanted to get some opinions on what might be the cause of this problem before I start replacing parts, especially the fuel pump at around $366 from the BMW dealer. Any suggestion is appreciated in solving this problem. Thanks!!

WOw
    something very similar has happen to me.
    I think it might be the crank shaft posiotion sensor.
    not SUre

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Well, the fuel pump you can get much cheaper online, you can save at least 100 $
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ump%20Assembly
    or ar BMA
    http://bmaparts.com/
    First thing is to check if the fuel pump delivers or if the fuel pump relay is defective. You can 'bridge' the fuel pump relay contacts to see that.
    Do you have a PEAKE fault tool? That would be good to save money. Costs 149 $ at www.peakeresearch.com
    I assume the other 540 drivers will add some comments.

Well i just puled the hose form the front of the fuel rail and fuel sprayed everywhere. called it good for fuel pressure

checking the peak stuff

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

if it does come down to a fuel pump, or you want to try one out, I do have a perfectly good one in my posession.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

i have a felling that it's not the fuel pump. i can smell fuel in the exhaust pipe when i crank tha motor. unless it's giving a variable pressure feed and even then i think the pressure regulator should help with pressure fluctuations (can't spell).

DME relay or crank position sensor?

i think the V8 also has a camshaft position sensor, but never heard of one of those dying.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Nearly the same thing happened to me driving home from work yesterday in my auto 535. I was coasting to a stop and the engine just cut out on me. I had to have it towed to my indy so we'll see what they say about it later today.

'90 535i - Korman Turbo - 143k

Default Update On Situation - Help Still Needed -

Well, I just put in a new fuel pump and it still won't start. It will turn over but will not start. Thinking about putting in a new, fuel pump fuse and if that does not work then it is off to the repair shop.

Any sugestions during thes desperate times will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nat_Coo
    Well, I just put in a new fuel pump and it still won't start. It will turn over but will not start. Thinking about putting in a new, fuel pump fuse and if that does not work then it is off to the repair shop.

Any sugestions during thes desperate times will be most appreciated. Thanks!
    Just had the same thing happen to my 89 535i.... It was both the main relay and fuel relay... I tried the fuel relay with a relay from another car and it didn't work... Took it to the shop and it was the main relay too so I was close to fixing it but I didn't even know about the main relay... Anyway they changed both and it runs now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast