GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sunroof track glue?

Default Sunroof track glue?

I'm going to tackle a sunroof panel replacement project one of these weekends. Unfortunately, the salvage yard from which I bought my replacement panel told me that the tracks were rusted out, so they were removed before shipping. I therefore have a glass panel with no tracks sitting in my basement.

A replacement sunroof seal is on the way, but meanwhile I need to think of a way to transfer my existing tracks onto the new piece. Looking at the part, it appears that BMW used some sort of glue to attach the tracks to the panel. What on earth can attach metal to glass securely like that? Any suggestions? Or is this just a stupid idea?

Default tricky part

If you have trouble finding the tracks please let me know, I'd like to buy the roof off of you.* I've got a 1995 530i with a glass sunroof that I brought into the shop for and adjustment and to re-glue the seal (it was coming up a little). When they were re-glueing the seal, the glass cracked (and mean cracked!). Now I need to get a replacement and it appears to be a hard to find item.* The shop is looking for the replacement, but is not having much luck.

Thanks

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by blee
    I'm going to tackle a sunroof panel replacement project one of these weekends. Unfortunately, the salvage yard from which I bought my replacement panel told me that the tracks were rusted out, so they were removed before shipping. I therefore have a glass panel with no tracks sitting in my basement.

A replacement sunroof seal is on the way, but meanwhile I need to think of a way to transfer my existing tracks onto the new piece. Looking at the part, it appears that BMW used some sort of glue to attach the tracks to the panel. What on earth can attach metal to glass securely like that? Any suggestions? Or is this just a stupid idea?

Quote Originally Posted by e34benja
    If you have trouble finding the tracks please let me know, I'd like to buy the roof off of you.* I've got a 1995 530i with a glass sunroof that I brought into the shop for and adjustment and to re-glue the seal (it was coming up a little). When they were re-glueing the seal, the glass cracked (and mean cracked!). Now I need to get a replacement and it appears to be a hard to find item.* The shop is looking for the replacement, but is not having much luck.

Thanks

Ben
    I'll let you know. Spent a few minutes starting at the tracks on my current sunroof, and they don't look too hard to transfer...but I don't know if I have the guts to do it.

Default Glass Update

I'll let you know. Spent a few minutes starting at the tracks on my current sunroof, and they don't look too hard to transfer...but I don't know if I have the guts to do it.
    How is the sunroof project going?* If you got the rails on, how did you insure that they were lined up correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by e34benja
    How is the sunroof project going?* If you got the rails on, how did you insure that they were lined up correctly?
    The replacement panel is still sitting in the basement. I'm a first-year medical student, so time has become somewhat of a premium. About the only thing I've done so far is to remove the old weatherstripping.

Default Willing to part?

Would you be willing to sell your glass? I'd be happy to give you a good price for it. Please let me know what you think.

Ben

The replacement panel is still sitting in the basement. I'm a first-year medical student, so time has become somewhat of a premium. About the only thing I've done so far is to remove the old weatherstripping.