GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Taking her in for a change

Default Taking her in for a change

An oil change and will have them drop the lower pan to inspect the Oil Pump Bolts. If they are intact and fitted tight should i have them taken out and replaced using Threadlock or should i assume that has probably already been done if they aren't lose and leave them alone?Seems like every sinlge M60 owner i've heard from has found the bolts badly loosend.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Regarding this issue, I saw the previous posts as well, when doing a Nikasil to Alusil conversion, is this something that would normally be checked/changed?
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

I think i read the answer to that question was at least one owner who has had the conversion still found the oil pump lose when he checked.I have the Alusil block . I'll report back tomorrow what i found. Suckey thing is as i live in a condominium i can't keep tools and jacks so i have to bring it to a shop even for simple stuff like this.they make money on parts too in that they already quoted me $50.00 for the pan gasket which is $20 online but nobody will install parts i buy...

Yea, I feel your pain. I find myself taking into the shop for little things as well. I finally moved into a place that has a auto repair shop directly across the street from my house, it provides a large empty parking lot where I can now work on it a bit more myself. Tools still either stay in car, or in the little storage area in the basement. I wish I had a garage though.

Do let me know what you find. I may just have to have all of that checked out sometime early next week.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

my alusil block was installed.... and unknown period of time ago, but when i dropped the pan the pump holder bolt was at the bottom engraving its initials into the metal. nuts were ok, but i installed them with the new updated ones and threadlocker. and of course a new bolt.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    my alusil block was installed.... and unknown period of time ago, but when i dropped the pan the pump holder bolt was at the bottom engraving its initials into the metal. nuts were ok, but i installed them with the new updated ones and threadlocker. and of course a new bolt.
    Hmm ok...

I had my Alusil done 10 months ago... I'm paranoid now though...

Well it appears the previous owner attended to the oil pump.The pump was bolted firmly to the block so no problems there. Got a fresh fill of M1 5w30,new filter insert and new lower oil pan gasket. The PO just used SILICONE to seal the pan when it was last opened.... errrrrr... also got a fresh batch of refrigerant, i may have a leak.While it was up on the lift i got to see the Upper Control Arm bushing and i saw some cracking so those are on order with 750i hydraulic filled bushings, the ones the BMW service bulletin recommends, pressed in . I also found The passenger side bailout plug is missing and the surround is rusted. It was suggested i spray it with foam insulation.The gas tank over near the tailpipe is also showing some significant rusting and looks like it should be replaced sooner than later. Two exhaust suspension bushing about in the middle of the system right and left are missing as well but the mechanic said it wasn't resulting in excessive strain on the rest of the system but the whole thing is bloody well rusty though it performs fine .That is all.We now return you to your regularly scheduled life . I am off to buy a torx driver to remove the Micro filter housing which i just decided to dive in to and do with that fresh refrigerant.I am surprised how fairly straight forward and intuitive the pieces of the interior are fitted. Oh yeah one other thing i just remembered. There is a very slight transmission fluid leak around the rear seal, the flex disk looks to be fairly new . Is that normal?It hasn't been enough to leave even one drop on the pavement where i park it but its evident when you inspect it. The mechanic said he;d just fill the tranny till it flowed back and that should keep me in shape for the time being and he said it was repairable. Is that an extensive job?

UPDATE* In case anyone was in doubt or required furthur confirmation, I successfully changed the microfilter all by myself and the blower output was dramtically incresed , possibly doubled!I thought i'd take a picture of the old one but it was as black as the one in the other pic i've seen and i tossed it.Hardest thing was finding a T20 Torx driver.
    Last edited by Jehu; 08-10-2006 at 01:26 AM.