GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement (aluminum Tube & Fan Clutch)

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement (aluminum Tube & Fan Clutch)

Joe here from Orlando

I removed the water pump from my 1994 530i today. I was warned not to remove the long aluminum tubes. Well the smaller aluminum tube came out accidently. I can see the hole that the aluminum tube fits in. Do I just push it back into place or do I replace the O-ring at the very front of the engine near the firewall? Is it possible to place silcone around the end of the aluminum tube to ensure it seals or do I have to go through a mountain of problems to replace the aluminum tube and the O-ring? Have anyone run into this problem before?

Another thing I had to take the fan out with the water pump because I didn't have a 32mm wrench. How do I remove the fan since I already remove the fan from the belt?

Apply some vaseline on the aluminum tube first before insertion. The o-ring is still in the hole. I won't come out that easily. Don't use silicone.

I don't think the belt has enough friction to hold the fan in place when you knock it loose. Use the bolt head as leverage to loosen the fan. Hmm.. I think that's how I did it. I must be getting old.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Green Bimmer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    Apply some vaseline on the aluminum tube first before insertion. The o-ring is still in the hole. I won't come out that easily. Don't use silicone.

I don't think the belt has enough friction to hold the fan in place when you knock it loose. Use the bolt head as leverage to loosen the fan. Hmm.. I think that's how I did it. I must be getting old.

I just took the radiator out so I can see the hole better. After I insert the tube do you think that it will leak? If it leaks then I have to put another O-ring in place. How would I start this job if the tube leaks?

Green Bimmer Guest

by the way thanks for all your help.

if the o-ring leaks the only ways to get the tube back out is to pull the water pump or pull the crossover pipe off of the back of the heads, 3 13mm bolts per side and a couple gaskets
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    if the o-ring leaks the only ways to get the tube back out is to pull the water pump or pull the crossover pipe off of the back of the heads, 3 13mm bolts per side and a couple gaskets
    You are getting sloppy. There are three 6 mm bolts with 10 mm hex head (10 N-m torque setting) on either end of the coolant header behind the engine.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

fan removal tool:

I used an adjustable wrench to turn the nut (it is reverse thread too)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy