GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OBC from another country

Default OBC from another country

Hey all,

I've been looking out for an OBC to retrofit my crappy digital clock/temperature one that is currently in my 525i. Wreckers here in Australia are asking about AU$170 for one that looks like it's been ripped out of an interior with a crowbar, so I decided to browse in eBay (UK, AU has bugger all for the E34) for one.

The only question I have is does anyone know if the UK ones would suit the ones that came with them fitted in Australia? For example, the UK usually calculate fuel economy in MPG (just like in the US), but in Australia we do it L/100km. Would I be getting weird readings if I fit a UK OBC into my Australian car, or is the method of calculating economy toggled by the km/mile switch button at the top left corner of the unit?

I was thinking of getting one from the US, but the labels of the buttons are all "American" (MPG etc), and I want my unit to be as close to the Australian spec as possible.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I worrying about nothing?

The front cover is exchangeable and available in various languages. Not many people know that, that's why I got my spare one from Germany with a Spanish front plate very cheap.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=62&fg=05

The BC unit itself is the same all over the world, as far as I know. Just switch from MPG to km etc. Left top side on the BC.
    BUT, I am talking about E32, I read that E34 OBC's are with a chip?

Wouldn't have a clue if the E34 comes with a chip or not.

Can the OBC still be used without the BC functionality on the indicator stalk? Bruno's site insinuates this, but I'm not sure myself. I don't mind not having BC switch on the stalk, I don't feel like dismantling my steering column for a switch.

Let us know how you go with this one. I also would like an OBC as opposed to the clock/temp gauge.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Let us know how you go with this one. I also would like an OBC as opposed to the clock/temp gauge.
    x3
    although it did give me an ice warning once.....................thrilling really

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

My OBC can switch between mph and kmph for the speed limit, and the same for the consumption guage.
    Also switches between F and C for the temperature.
    Mine was an australian bought car, so i assume that it will be the same world wide.
    11/88 535iA

The OBC can be used without the switch one the stalker. You just dont get the OBC text up in your instrumentpanel.
    The ice warning will alert you when the temperature gets below +1 degrees Celsius. OR if the temperatursensor is not installed(-37 degrees celcius signal).
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

I've done this on a 94 525i. I got a broken obc with a good front from a local wrecker for $20 and a working german obc from ebay. Put the good front on the german obc and it works well. BMW did revise the design of the obc at some stage, because the older one in my 535 is much heavier. I also had to add a relay under the rear seat. I can give you more details on that later though if you want, got leave in a hurry now...

For all those who can understand German:
    OBC installation 57 pages,
    http://www.gunnar525.de/screwings/bc4_einbau.pdf

installing a plug in a BC without code plug
    http://www.gunnar525.de/screwings/bc...ierstecker.pdf
    BC FAQ
    http://www.gunnar525.de/screwings/bc4_faq.pdf

The best instructions on the net, even if you do not understand German, the pics will help.

Those are the one and only when it comes to retrofit a OBC. I printed them all when i did it. Tried to send him(Gunnar) som emails, but never got any answers though...
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast