GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: And sometimes that annoying rattle in your front door can be...

Default And sometimes that annoying rattle in your front door can be...

...something other than a broken door clip! Been knashing my teeth for the last few months; every time I hit a bumpy road surface, I got this metallic squeak in the front pass-side door. Any pressure to the door handle would make it go away. Figured it was a broken clip of some sort.

Took apart the door panel...found nothin'. Removed the whole dpoor panel, went for a drive. Squeak was still there. Finally pulled over and put my hand back behind the metal skin (which the window electrics bolt to) and reached all the way forward...found it! The window track at the front of the door by the door stop was rattling around.

As luck would have it (someone else' luck, that is), there's a rubber stopper located in the front door jam (just next to the door stop) which hides the philips head screw securing the lower part of the window rail. Make sure you have a stubby philips head handy, normal length screw driver won't fit.

Would've been a 30 second job had I known where to look, but on the bright side, I'm now experienced in removing/reinstalling a door panel. Not quite as easy as it seemed from reading Bruno's narrative on it.

Hope everyone had a good weekend...

Tim G.
    '91 535iM (sans squeaky front door)

Default reminds me of a story....

About 5 years ago I had an '92 prelude Si (highly recommended as long as you don't need any space) Had a really loud rattle in my driver's door. Sounded like a screwdriver rolling around inside there. Well, after a month of it (never had a problem with the lock or window) I finally took apart the door and found a professional slim jim inside. It was probably 16" long with a 4" handle, a 5" radius curve to a triagle shaped catch on the end. Machine made. I always laugh that the fool who tried to jimmy my door lost a nice tool. B/T/W for all you would be car theives, the connecting arm between the lock and the release handle of that model prelude is covered on three sides (exposed underneath) by a ridge steel channel end to end. There's no catching it from inside the door...

Default Ha! Too funny...well, as long as the guy who'd tried to use it...

...wasn't inside the door, too, I'd say you got off easy!

My first car was an '85 Prelude. Helluva car. I paid $9500 for it in '87 w/ 41k on it, after taking through Hell and back (e.g., college), I sold it 4 years later with 155k on it for $3500. Aside from the rust around the sunroof, the car was perfect. And I can vouch how hard they are to break into, having locked my keys in the car repeatedly. You were better off gently prying the top of the door open enough to slide something in to push the power lock button. I mean, so I've heard... ;o)

Tim G.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelfeet
    About 5 years ago I had an '92 prelude Si (highly recommended as long as you don't need any space) Had a really loud rattle in my driver's door. Sounded like a screwdriver rolling around inside there. Well, after a month of it (never had a problem with the lock or window) I finally took apart the door and found a professional slim jim inside. It was probably 16" long with a 4" handle, a 5" radius curve to a triagle shaped catch on the end. Machine made. I always laugh that the fool who tried to jimmy my door lost a nice tool. B/T/W for all you would be car theives, the connecting arm between the lock and the release handle of that model prelude is covered on three sides (exposed underneath) by a ridge steel channel end to end. There's no catching it from inside the door...