GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust under paint -- "surface rust" or worse??

Default Rust under paint -- "surface rust" or worse??

Rust has a way of creeping up on you, doesn't it? I was looking over my car today and discovered that three doors have rust in the rear corners, right near the drain hole. So far it looks like only the outside is affected, but the rust looks like it's underneath the paint. Does this mean that it's actually rusted from inside out, or is there still the possibility that I've got surface rust? I don't want to start grinding away at it, only to see a big gaping hole in my door. I've read some threads where some people have resorted to looking for new doors, but I'm really hoping to at least stop the rust from getting worse first.

grind it off and treat it asap before it becomes a hole.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Sooner is better, grind it down to see how much damage the rust have done, I use to say that at only 1/3 of the rust is visible. If i see a 3-4cm spot of rust, i usually end up with cutting away a 10-15cm piece and weld in new fresh metal.

btw: Really fresh looking sig Jeff!
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Sigh, scary stuff. New trim is on the way, guess it's time to look into POR15 or other options.

Where is VA? Is that somewhere that they put salt on the roads in winter? I just can't imagine these cars rusting. Anyway, be careful with the grinding as doors have fairly intricate pressings. As stated you MUST neutralise the rust ASAP. You must also seek to find out why it's rustings. Check your drain holes for blockages etc etc.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

All metal will rust sooner or later, o mystery there. And a car, wich have several variables of wear and tear will certanly rust. Maybe a stone chip started it, then water came in to bare metal and started doing its work underneath the paint.
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Northern VA = Northern Virginia, USA. Sorry for the confusion.

My guess is that the rust started with the lower trim. I won't know until the trim comes off, though. I really don't have the budget to start cutting and welding, unfortunately; my goal will be to stop the rust from spreading too violently and turning my doors into Swiss cheese. If it happens slowly, I'll be alright with that for now.

Do we have an agreed method of removing and treating surface rust? Do products like Jenolite etc really work? Maybe a sticky about bodywork repairs would be popular. Some e34's are 18 years old now - if they are still alive. (then there's the e28's.....)

Just a thought!

Shaun

My E12 stated to rust along the leading edges of the lower doors. I used a rust coverter but the stuff kept coming back. I always said that the moment I saw ANY rust on the E34 I would sell it. It's like cancer man. You can treat it but it will kill you in the end. I'm sory that you've got it.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

So does that rust converter stuff really work then?

Shaun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast