GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: broken air cond.

Unregistered Guest

Default broken air cond.

Hi all. Got a '90/525i auto all stock and the air cond is not working. Was told the the auxiliary fan motor wasn't working so keeps shorting the unit out. There was a rubber hose stuck in the blades. Want to know if this is hard to replace by myself and where would I find the parts? Thanks all for your help.

As far as I know the A/C compressor should work even without the aux fan (although maybe not for long). Is Your compressor working at all?

Unregistered Guest

Compressor is working but like you said not for long and the air cond fuse has to be changed to work it. Right now it's running hot cause I didn't change the fuse yet. Any ideas about changing the fan? Thanks

make sure that the resister on the aux fan is good, the fan will blow the fuse if it trys to start up in high, starting amprage in high is around 65 amps on that monster fan, and that's on a 30 amp fuse, it gets away with this because it starts out in low speed mode and only draws about 25 amps, but if the resister is dead it will try to start in high
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

the fan should start at low speed as soon as you start the compressor, if the low speed does not work it is probably the resistor, but it also has a separate relays for low and high speed operation, maybe you should check them too. The aux fan has a 30A fuse and it should start with no problem directly at high speed withouth blowing the fuse (checked myself). As it was mentioned, if the fan was stuck in one position and powered on, there is a good chance that some of the coils in it overheated and shortened, thus increasing the current and finally blowing the fuse.