GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: HELP! Another "TRANS PROGRAM" Error Who Has Fixed The Problem

Default HELP! Another "TRANS PROGRAM" Error Who Has Fixed The Problem

I know this is a reoccurring subject and there are hundreds of posts about this subject. After reading most of them it just seems that everyone’s case is slightly different. This “TRANS PROGRAM” error seems to show up for all sorts of reasons. Below is my scenario with my 1992 525i that is a US version.

Car: 1992 525i with 180K miles with auto transmission and I6 engine

Situation:

While driving in the S3 mode the car will periodically (does not happen all of the time nor is it instant when I shift into the S3 mode) shifts with the common bang and TRANS PROGRAM error and then locks into 3rd gear limp mode until I turn the car off for a few minutes. So far it has only happened when the car is warmed up. After restarting the car and the computer system resets itself it shifts fine until it happens again. It usually happens when the car attempts to shift from first gear into second gear. Just to mention, it has also happened when I was cruising along and it went to up shift into 3rd gear from 2nd. Up until now it has not happened while I am driving in the ED mode. But, occasionally while driving in the ED mode with the car warmed up my shifts form first gear to second gear seem to slip or flare during the shift. This tends to happen when it is really hot outside. But, the car is not overheating.

I just changed my transmission fluid and the filter.

I have read a few articles and forums about TRANS PROGRAM errors. Those articles have mentioned to check or replace:

1) battery
    2) transmission speed sensor (Pulse generator)
    3) DME Relay
    4) Fuel Pump
    5) Fuel Filter

Has anyone else had this problem or similar and fixed it successfully? What worked and what did not?

Where is the pulse generator located for this car?

Any other suggestions please? Thank you.

go here:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp

If you're throwing multiple trans programs, you really don't want to develope a strategy to ride it out for too long, you wanna solve the problem.

hope this helps

if it happens during cruising it wouldnt be the battery.

have a tech read the code from the TCU.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default I fixed mine...

....and yeah seems like there's NOT a single reason... check all the stuff you know to check... read the stuff at bmwe34.net...

My story is: got the TRANS PGM message a few times, shut off car, restrat and it went away.

1. Had my indy pull the codes (error codes via diagnostic port)
    2. Record the codes on a piece of paper.
    3. Had my indy clear ALL the codes.
    4. Very next time it happened I had him pull the code(s) again.
    5. Write them down again.
    6. Code was "fluid pressure regulator". About a $90 part.
    7. Did my own research to little avail.
    8. Indy did some research.
    9. Turned out there was a tech or service bulletin (some kind of bulletin) which he found saying there was an updated EGS (?) (like the ECU/computer for the tranny).
    10. Put in the updated tranny chip and the new fluid pressure regulator.
    11. Think the pressure regulator may have had a different "pressure" spec than the original, I really don't know....
    12. All that was over 3 years ago, and haven't had a problem since.
    13. Also did fresh fluid and filter at the same time.

Hope that helps!!
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Default That's almost exactly what I went through....

but my code came up after a tranny overhaul. My indy did say that the parts in the tranny were very worn, so the overhaul was justified. But the code came up afterwards, and the fix was a new ECU program.

The Sept/Oct 1992 build of the car required a special version of software that had to come from BMWUSA. What a pain in the arse that was.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by eddie
    I know this is a reoccurring subject and there are hundreds of posts about this subject. After reading most of them it just seems that everyone’s case is slightly different. This “TRANS PROGRAM” error seems to show up for all sorts of reasons. Below is my scenario with my 1992 525i that is a US version.

Car: 1992 525i with 180K miles with auto transmission and I6 engine

Situation:

While driving in the S3 mode the car will periodically (does not happen all of the time nor is it instant when I shift into the S3 mode) shifts with the common bang and TRANS PROGRAM error and then locks into 3rd gear limp mode until I turn the car off for a few minutes. So far it has only happened when the car is warmed up. After restarting the car and the computer system resets itself it shifts fine until it happens again. It usually happens when the car attempts to shift from first gear into second gear. Just to mention, it has also happened when I was cruising along and it went to up shift into 3rd gear from 2nd. Up until now it has not happened while I am driving in the ED mode. But, occasionally while driving in the ED mode with the car warmed up my shifts form first gear to second gear seem to slip or flare during the shift. This tends to happen when it is really hot outside. But, the car is not overheating.

I just changed my transmission fluid and the filter.

I have read a few articles and forums about TRANS PROGRAM errors. Those articles have mentioned to check or replace:

1) battery
    2) transmission speed sensor (Pulse generator)
    3) DME Relay
    4) Fuel Pump
    5) Fuel Filter

Has anyone else had this problem or similar and fixed it successfully? What worked and what did not?

Where is the pulse generator located for this car?

Any other suggestions please? Thank you.
    I had a recent trans program error come up on mind and had to limp home. I didn't have any stored codes but the mechanic said I needed a new transmission control module. Although things have been fine since I reset the computer, I will change the module out as soon as I can (have found them used for about $198 delivered). I was also told that an old battery can lead to some trans errors, but my battery tested fine.

This was the first trans program error I have received.

Good luck.

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine