GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Requests...i Deliver! (M5 Update)

Default George Requests...i Deliver! (M5 Update)

I actually haven't done much of anything. I have pictures i need to find a place to upload to (of part 3). Aside from that i've been waiting to get a few decent days off along with a list of exactly what i need to do yet.

I still have to remove the exhaust manifold from the head so i can send it to my uncle (a machinst) so he can check the head out. Also going to have a valve job done once that is finished. I think i'm going to pay someone to do the valve job, as i don't really know all of what that entails.

This leads me into my next question....

How should i go about cleaning the block and piston heads. I know this was discussed a week or so ago (the piston head cleaning at least), but i was wondering what would be safest way. Should i clean cylinders as well?

I still need to get a new cam (damn, i wish i had a spare few thousand $$ for schrick cams...)

Also, i decided i should probably do timing chain guides (since everyone says if you're in that far, change them before they break). so my list as it stands is...

1) Remove exhaust manifold from head
    2) get head checked out
    3) valve job
    4) clean pistons / cylinder
    5) purchase belts/hoses/gaskets/timing chain guides (basically all the internals i'm replacing)
    6) replace water pump
    7) repace motor mounts
    8) have injectors checked/maybe replaced?

Thats all of the major stuff, there is some other stuff to be done under the hood like new wires/plugs/clips...little crap like that.

But the weather today is MISERABLE so i decided against driving up to try to play with anything. Instead i'm going to work on removing a bit of curb rash from my wheels and cleaning up my valve cover.

Feel free to post any suggestions/comments/questions you've got!

Also, winfred, i've gotta talk to you about that gasket set....

Happy ///Motoring!
    Jason

P.S. If anyone here has comments about my abilty to do this, at least have the balls to log in and not hide under the 'guest' tag. Everyone knows where i'm at, why are YOU hiding?

as far as your ability...I want to say I give you a lot of credit for taking the dive as a newbie on the M5. You picked a relatively complicated engine to cut your teeth on. I will try to give you some advice because afterall you listened to me when I suggested you shooch your motor forward to get as the cam retainer behind the head versus pulling the engine :-)
    Your list looks pretty good. Sounds like you have time...a key element in doing the job right...not to rush. Machining that head will be a challenge Jason. It is for an experienced shop only at 4 valves per cylinder. Find someone who knows that head before you just send it off. As to cleaning the piston tops...check the archives...just do a search. Myself, Bill R and others have written adnasseum on the subject. Just be sure to flush both the cooling system and send at least a quart of oil over the valves with the valve cover off to not only lube the top end but flush out all the crud that falls into the engine before you fill it with fresh oil.
    Good Luck,
    George

George,
    i'm probably NOT going to have the head 'milled'. I'm sending it to my uncle ONLY to be checked for straightness (and he can do a port & polish afterwards). Should he determine that it needs a straightening, i'm going to talk to VAC Motorsports here in the Philadelphia area about doing the 'furnace tecnique'.

Thanks for the advice on the quart of oil. I'll be sure to do that. Having all the time in the world is great actually. This way i do not have to rush anything. Sure an 'experienced' mechanic could probably do it in a weekend whereas it'll take me most of the summer to complete (probably), but i'll have twice as much fun and save more money than i care to think about! I'll just do a little bit here and a little bit there until one day i wake up and its all better! Right now the major constraint is my time to work on it and money.

Is there anything else i should do to the block that you can think of? i'm going to drop the oil pan next time i'm home to get all the 'sludge' out of the bottom. Anything worth looking into while i'm down there?

Thanks again George, your advice has proven QUITE valuable.

all sounds good man...what you can do is check the head for trueness and have each combustion chamber pressure tested to see what kind of seating you are getting with each of your 6 sets of 4 valves per cylinder with the cams out. Do consider removing the valves and hand lapping them at least and be sure to replace the valve seals. Talk to Winfred when you look into your head gasket kit...he can provide some tips on hand lapping....he has done quite a few BMW heads though maybe not many M5 heads as they are quite rare. If you are going to remove the pan which I think is a good idea Jason, consider changing the oil pump as well. Cheap insurance and since you have it apart, really the time to do it.
    I did the same as you with my M-30. I took all winter...took my time...played some music...painted some parts...detailed everything...replaced all the hoses and belts etc.
    It should be a thoroughly enjoyable journey...do try to enjoy it....I sure did.
    George

Yeah, thats exaclty what i'm gonna do, detail detail detail!

Thanks for the suggestion on the oil pump, hadn't even thought about it.

Yeah, i'm going to get pressure tests done a bit later. That requires that the head be reaseated and gaskets in place right?

I also hadn't thought about actually removing the valves. I was going to have someone take care of the head and valve job for me. Do you think its worth paying someone to do, or is it simple enough to do myself?

and so far, i'm having a blast! Hopefully, once its all back together, i'll be more confident in my engine than EVER!

Cheers,
    Jason

Yeah, i'm going to get pressure tests done a bit later. That requires that the head be reseated and gaskets in place right?
    Ans: Nope...what they do is with the head off the engine, with the head at the machine shop/engine builder, they bolt the head to a boiler plate. With the cams out all the valves are fully seated....or cams in on intake stroke with exhaust valves closed, they pressurized the intake port and see how the exhaust valve seal holds. Conversely can do the same thing with the exhaust valves open and the intakes closed by pressurizing the exhaust port. That way they can determine the integrity of the valve seat seal. I suggest you take the head to a pro Jason and have a valve job performed, replace the seals, pressure test, true the head etc. Won't be cheap for the M5 head but well worth it.
    George

Brett A. of KMS will only use these guys for head work:

http://www.memphismotorwerks.com/

Cheers,

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    I suggest you take the head to a pro...It won't be cheap for the M5 head but well worth it.
    George

I was looking into these guys

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/

Seeing as how they're in my area...

George: Thanks for the info, i'll shoot these guys an email and get a quote. After reading that info about the testing i'm definately going to have someone else do the work. I'll shop around and see what people think about different places.

Thanks again!

Jason,

VC gasket is good, but i'm still burning oil. We need to set a date on when we're going to meet and take on some more ****. I know you were thinking about this or next weekend. Let me know, I need to take a good long look at my motor to see where my oil is going still. New VC gaskets.. hmm.... grr...

Default Lets see now... I'm at month #4 and I still haven't re-assembled...

my M30 head yet. I'm like you, I got lots of time on my hands, i.e., to work on the car but I'm starting to get a little anxious. Sometimes it looks as though this head job is cut and dried and seems to drag on but that is my fault for not tackling the job more diligently than what I should. I think at this pace I'll probably be winding up the work in mid to end of May. Geeze, this is almost half a year!! The head so far has been machined, valves have been cleaned in Chem-Dip solution, one valve at a time for 1 to 3 days each (this might be an overkill but what the hell), bought new valve retainers, rocker arms and shafts so far. Right now I'm checking for valve-to-guide play with a dial indicator.

It's not just the head job I'm after, it's the little things that broke/stopped working and didn't bother to fix before. Wish I could give you advise on your M5 head job but don't have enough experience/knowledge to lend any for that type of engine.

Just wanted to give you a heads up as to the time it's taken me to work on my the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast