GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manually Shifting W/ Automatic

Default Manually Shifting W/ Automatic

I will admit it, I've never driven stick besides 1st gear around a parking lot in a 944 Porsche when I was 12. So, my experience is limited. However, I know my 530i does have the option to switch shifting into manual mode. I wanted to know the basics of using this mode to shift as well as the benefit of manual mode in comparison to say Auto or Economy.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Please don't. No good reason to and it's harder on your auto trans than letting the computer shift it on it's own. Now putting it in Sports mode is okee dokee.
    Tom

I've done it before, its cool and everything, but still not a stick. Get a beater with a stick and learn in that if you do not want to mess up a nicer car.

95 E34 540i6 M Sport - 94 E34 530iT B40/6 - 92 E34 525i5 M52/OBD2 rip

Quote Originally Posted by Atl530i
    I've done it before, its cool and everything, but still not a stick. Get a beater with a stick and learn in that if you do not want to mess up a nicer car.
    Bah.... It took me a day to learn on the car.
    Was the clutch smelly after the first day? hell ya.. lol

but I had some practice on my motorcycle before though

Yea, I liked to leave it in Sport mode every now and then.... but i literally see that gas gauge drop when flooring it merging onto freeways or just giving myself that extra space from the car who is tailing me, thinking they can keep up... ya know... a nice little press on that overdrive. :-P
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

i was freaked out when that switch went bad and actually got stuck in manual mode. I didn't know what I was doing. Sure did take side roads home. I got the hang of it a lil bit, but not sure when to shift, if i take foot off gas when i shift, or what...

In an auto you can keep your foot planted to the pedal while shifting. My car doesn't even have a manual mode, but it does have the ability to shift into any gear. I use this on spirited drives that stay under 60mph, and keep the car in second gear as to avoid harming my tranny, since my allpowerful M20 would rip it shreds. When I DO use it to actually shift gears, I shift when the engine is in its powerband before redline at a little after 5k RPM's. I'm not sure where the 530 gets most of its power, but I'm sure you have a little more torque down low.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

Oh yea?.... Man, im curious to try it out now... Just to get the hang of it.

I use it in bumper to bumper traffic to keep the car in first or second gear depending on traffic speed.

I also use it on windy hilly roads to down shift and kick the engine into a higher gear at will. (very fun, but used very very rarely)

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

No problem at all. I often use it in S and M mode so that I get higher RPM and agility.
    Also sometimes in first and S in city to blast the engine free at 5.000 RPM at actual low speed. My owners manual states to run the engine for a certain time at > 3.000 RPM after long time driving in city traffic or traffic jam.
    So I just follow the instructions
    Anyway, how to use it is shown in the owners manual.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast