GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny service for my 95 530i

Default Tranny service for my 95 530i

Hi all,

What is involved in Tranny maintenance? I saw this in bmwe34.net

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...atic_flush.htm

Will this article hold good for my car? Mine is a 5 speed transmission. Not sure if it is ZF or GM.

Also how to check the Tranny fluid level? As far as I can see I dont see a dip stick.

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

good question
    I heard that if you replace the transmission fuild you have to change the whole tranny out for a new one

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Yes, you do. The transmission fluid sold in auto parts stores is strictly used for rapidly wearing the internals of transmissions. This is done to make the transmission lighter for racing.

You should probably bring your transmission down to me for a replacement. It will be $24,000 + 6% shop fees.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

its a ZF 5hp18

the page is titled "flush" which should be titled "change" your supposed to only change the filter and only the fluid that comes out with it.

change the filter and fluid that comes out only (about 3.3 qts).
    EDIT: 12/2018 Just did this on my 95, took out about 3 and put in appx 4.5 quarts and still not trickling out.

your trans uses dextron III and can be replaced with a synthetic such as royal purple.

the trans has to be checked when "level" & "running" from the trans plug on the pan and at a certain temperature which is hot. hot like it dont burn your hand on the trans pan but isnt cool, if you can hold your hand on it where its pretty damn uncomfortable your real close! the fluid should trickle out if correct.

enjoy!
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 12-23-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Lol

Flush your tranny by drain, fill and drive two times about 25 miles is all you need before you finally drain, change filter and fill.

yes, that is the correct procedure to ruin the transmission.

its change it every 30k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Flush your tranny by drain, fill and drive two times about 25 miles is all you need before you finally drain, change filter and fill.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thank you Jeff,

I can still follow the procedure in Bruno's site even though my Transmission is different?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    its a ZF 5hp18

the page is titled "flush" which should be titled "change" your supposed to only change the filter and only the fluid that comes out with it.
    Pardon me. I still dont understand how to check the level. If trans plug is the same as drain plug the fluid will trickle down even if the fuid is low. Also where do I fill the trans oil? I dont see any trans oil cap!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    the trans has to be checked when "level" & "running" from the trans plug on the pan and at a certain temperature which is hot. hot like it dont burn your hand on the trans pan but isnt cool, if you can hold your hand on it where its pretty damn uncomfortable your real close! the fluid should trickle out if correct.
    Also how often should I do the trans fluid change this way? Bruno's site recomends this in every oil change.

Thanks,
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

I can still follow the procedure in Bruno's site even though my Transmission is different? yes

Pardon me. I still dont understand how to check the level. If trans plug is the same as drain plug the fluid will trickle down even if the fuid is low. Also where do I fill the trans oil? I dont see any trans oil cap! this is the fun part, the car has to be level, running and the right temperature (86-122 F). how to do this ehh? well either you know a trans dude at a shop (none of mine will even let the car in cause its a BMW) what I do is put the front on ramps with my safety device so it dont roll off http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/safetyr%20ramp.jpg and http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/saf...amp%20rear.JPG this chocks the front wheels. Now you need to somehow raise the rear so its level, safe and you can start the engine. there is a drain plug and a fill and check plug under and in the pan that sticks about 1.5 inches above the bottom of the pan *look at brunos pics* thats the deal to remove and check/fill I believe its an 17mm hex to remove.

Also how often should I do the trans fluid change this way? Bruno's site recomends this in every oil change. thats chancy, the ZF expert Kirt Koeller
    (616)748-5735 was very firm on this, call him yourself. he says every 30k so thats etched in stone as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 12-23-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I think you might be confused on the drain and fill plugs. Drain plug is obviously the lower one and the fill plug is on the side. After draining fluid, dropping pan, cleaning pan, then you install new filter and pan. You fill the tranny through the fill hole (on the side of pan), till fluid comes out. install plug, start car and warm up till the pan is warm (as per 632 Regals instructions). At this point you remove the fill plug and start filling again till fluid starts seeping out, then install fill plug and you're ready to go. Hope this helps out. There's a very detailed write-up on www.pelicanparts.com. Even though it's a different tranny it's got some good tips.
    EDIT I might have misled you on the locations of the fill and drain plugs. I have the 4L30e tranny and the pan is alot different. Maybe 632 Regal can give you better specifics on the location of the plugs. I just went to www.realoem.com and looked up your tranny. It's definately alot different than mine.
    Last edited by Mendozart; 07-31-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Greg Mendoza

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast