GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tranny service for my 95 530i

Thank you Jeff and Medozart. Now things are getting more clear.

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    yes, that is the correct procedure to ruin the transmission.

its change it every 30k miles.
    Haha Found this today a bit later than I originally posted it. The issue with flushing or draining and repeat refill is with the fluid being black. If it's black it contains all the burnt friction materials from the clutches and if you remove that then the trans will slip til it goes nowhere. If the fluid is not burnt or black you can change it out. Condomplating a fluid change because my trans cooler O rings are leaking and pretty sure the trans is low now. Got new o rings, coolant a belt and plan to do all the same time. The trans fluid check drain refill is being held back due to my son hogging my ramps for the past 1.5 years. Beside that I only need a pan gasket.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Did the filter change today. Only an 8 month delay and still no ramps. Did it on my sketchy driveway because I have a small leak up front near where I changed the "O" rings and keeps neutral slamming on inclines. Between what I lost replacing the rings and the tiny leak it was well over due. Took out a little over 3 quarts and put in about 4.5 quarts and still not trickling back out. Fluid was dirty but just fine, not black or smelling burnt. Not much on the magnets either so I am pretty confident this thing will go much farther than it has. Think it's at 219K ish.

New fluid observations: Shift into reverse or drive not noticeable except a slight RPM drop where before it would firmly go into gears. Shifts are definitely smoother now. Depending on which Dexron III was in there it could have been a base stock where the newer Dexron III G and Dexron III H are synthetic based, If the prior than it is very possible it could break down. Original fluids in our cars were base stock.

DEXRON-III[edit]

In 1993, GM released new Dexron-III fluid (GM Spec GM6417M and later GMN10055). It is generally backward-compatible with transmissions using earlier Dexron fluids or Type-A/Suffix-A fluid. However this specification failed to address a number of issues concerning long term durability such as shear stability and fluid oxidation. Dexron-III underwent a number of iterations in an attempt to address various shortcomings but was eventually replaced by new thinking i.e. DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON III G[edit]

Dexron III G was a synthetic automatic transmission fluid, especially developed for new (after 1997) and older (automatic) transmissions build by Ford and GM, as well as for many other brands. It is also suitable for power steering systems, some hydraulic systems and for rotary air compressors where an excellent low temperature fluidity is required.

DEXRON III H[edit]

Introduced in 2003, replaced III G. The H is an additive package for an updated friction modifier, and with an oxidatively stable base oil (group 2 or group 3). Oils according to this specification have longer maintenance of friction properties and anti-shudder properties, better foam control and a longer fluid life. Universal for all automatic transmission with and without controlled torque converter lockup clutch, the so called GKÜB for gear-clutch-lock.
    Interestingly enough I found a reply from ZF that said:
    Thank you for your interest in ZF Industries, Inc., especially in the program for ZF automatic transmissions for BMW 5-speed passenger car applications.

In regards to your question about factory recommendations for fluid changes in your ZF 5-speed automatic transmission, the transmission fluid is Dexron II D-21065 and should be changed every two (2) years or 30,000 miles (whatever occurs first). However, if you decide to change the fluid in your transmission more frequently, that may increase the life of the transmission and may enhance the shift behavior.
    For whatever it's worth our old cars called for base stock fluid Dexron II which was later replaced with possibly some synthetic based Dexron III and fully backwards compatible with our requirements. Base fluid cars should be changed every 30K miles. Changing mine at 219+ (just pan and filter volume) should be a non issue. Dex III is backwards compatible and if you grab the right jug it might be synthetic. No matter what you choose if you just change out the filter and fluid that comes out you will be just fine unless it is black and smells burnt or like electronics.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 12-23-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ATF filling and checking is described in detail on the European transmissions website https://www.europeantransmissions.co...MWtechinfo.htm

Nowadays these multipurpose ATF is quite good like the Castrol https://www.castrol.com/en_cc/ccsa/p...tivehicle.html
    Meets or exceeds General Motors DEXRON®-IIIH requirements
    Meets or exceeds Ford MERCON® V and Ford MERCON® requirements
    MERCON® V approved and licensed by Ford Motor Company
    Meets or exceeds JASO-1A requirements

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Did the filter change today... For whatever it's worth our old cars called for base stock fluid Dexron II which was later replaced with possibly some synthetic based Dexron III and fully backwards compatible with our requirements. Base fluid cars should be changed every 30K miles. Changing mine at 219+ (just pan and filter volume) should be a non issue. Dex III is backwards compatible and if you grab the right jug it might be synthetic. No matter what you choose if you just change out the filter and fluid that comes out you will be just fine unless it is black and smells burnt or like electronics.
    Good work. Here down under Dexron III fluids are plain old red mineral fluid. The best stuff BMW 83229407807, or ZF's own fluid. Note: ZF says don't use TE-ML_11B fluids (only TE-ML_11A, see link below) or it's LifeGuard stuff which meets 11A and 11B. Most of us use the Japanese synthetic multi vehicle ATF marketed under many brand names, which are sort of a dark yellow and state they are tested/approved as LA2634 or T71411 compliant. There are many euro brands like Liquimoly that make or re-brand what are likely quite similar product.

For anyone doing this for the first time, be sure to buy it in the bulk 20L containers as you need will need to do several flushes and one container will only do 2 flushes with a little left over. if the trans has seen some service (unless, as Regal says, it has become blackened- in which case replace what you removed and look for a replacement trans as you will need ones soon).

From the horse's mouth:
    https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_z...s/TE-ML_11.pdf

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12