GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New wheels installed couple questions about braking..

Default New wheels installed couple questions about braking..

I have recently installed 18x8.5 Hamann wheels on my e34, with sorta small tires 225/40-18, The look is great and I have put about 500 miles on them this past week with no problems. But there is a couple things i have noticed and one of these is how the brake pedal feels. It seems like it takes more pressure on the pedal and the feel is not as it was.. is this normal? Will I need the upgraded brakes to handle the added weight of the Hamann's?

also I've got this annoying rattle over bumps at speeds of 25+ , If i apply the brakes over said bumps there is no noise.. Are the brake pads supposed to be this annoying? Or is there something else I should look at? (this is more of a rant since this is an ongoing noise since I bought the car almost a year ago)

Default Hey Deke...you shouldn't ever need to upgrade (m)

...brakes as a result of getting larger diameter wheels IMO. Your new wheels (which are quite nice, btw) may be a couple lbs heavier than your old ones, but that would only increase the rolling resistance a wee bit. So, I really don't think you need to worry about larger brakes, tho I'm not really sure what might cause your pedal to feel different. I will say I've noticed slight differences in braking between each of my 4 sets of tires/wheels, most of which are all diff't diameters.

As for the rattle, first thing which comes to mind are swaybar links. Remember, applying the brakes essentially pushes the front wheels back into wheel wells. This could potentially take-up any "play" in worn suspension components, keeping them from rattling, however, they would start rattling again when you got off the brakes. Same could also happen if your front strut bushings were worn. Start simple (and cheap) and check out the swaybar links first...

Just my $.02 - hope it helps.

Rgds,
    Tim G.
    '91 535iM

Quote Originally Posted by Deke NorCal

I have recently installed 18x8.5 Hamann wheels on my e34, with sorta small tires 225/40-18, The look is great and I have put about 500 miles on them this past week with no problems. But there is a couple things i have noticed and one of these is how the brake pedal feels. It seems like it takes more pressure on the pedal and the feel is not as it was.. is this normal? Will I need the upgraded brakes to handle the added weight of the Hamann's?

also I've got this annoying rattle over bumps at speeds of 25+ , If i apply the brakes over said bumps there is no noise.. Are the brake pads supposed to be this annoying? Or is there something else I should look at? (this is more of a rant since this is an ongoing noise since I bought the car almost a year ago)

i've seen ill fitting brake pads rattle in the calipers, sometimes the clip is missing that holds the two halfs of the caliper together, and they spread apart and the pads rattle
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Rick L Guest

Default Different tires makes different feel to the brake pedal.

Different tires makes different feel to the brake pedal. I have three sets of wheels. They all feel little different.

Default Yes, and if you put this together with ...

the new brake feeling! I would take a look at the front calipers/rotors, check run away, check operation of caliper sliding bolts, easy job.