GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strut shot through strut mount! I hate Philly!

Default Strut shot through strut mount! I hate Philly!

Yea, so I hate Philadelphia's streets. Driving along lincoln drive yesterday, I met the worst pothole, man hole, ditch, whatever you want to call it, that I've ever seen. Well, yea, no way to avoid it, either hit it, the car next to me or the mountain on the passengers side.

BANG!!!

Yea, it was loud!! Thought for sure that I'd smashed my wheel up pretty bad, maybe even new suspension needed as well. However, the car drove just fine, and after getting ot my location, i kinda forgot about it. Until this morning that is. I grabbed my camera as I went to go and take some After shots of the Dupont applied last week, when I saw a small dome shaped dent coming from under the hood. I opened the hood and to my dismay I saw my strut... Poking its head out about 4" from where the strut mount/dust cap was. I hate this city's streets! Costing me more $$ on maintenance which would not normally be needed.

Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

What kind of shocks? I'm sorry about your bad luck...
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

KYB, turns out the strut mount must have been bad. :-D
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

wow that really sucks.....you should go back and take pictures of the pothole, maybe even video of cars passing by (over) it and take it to the city and argue for them to repair the hood, shock, shock mount, etc.

I know a friend of mine had a similar event a few year back except he noticed it last minute and as going ~45mph and it actually bent his rim. He took photos and video and the city ended up payin for a new rim and tire. The barrage of hurricanes and lack of effort in repair the roads here in FL helped his case though but its worth a try!

have you been happy with the KYBs? I'm looking at buying a set tonight off eBay. I also bougt a set of H&R
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenOne
    wow that really sucks.....you should go back and take pictures of the pothole, maybe even video of cars passing by (over) it and take it to the city and argue for them to repair the hood, shock, shock mount, etc.

I know a friend of mine had a similar event a few year back except he noticed it last minute and as going ~45mph and it actually bent his rim. He took photos and video and the city ended up payin for a new rim and tire. The barrage of hurricanes and lack of effort in repair the roads here in FL helped his case though but its worth a try!

Yes, planning on getting it fixed ASAP and then heading out there to take pics. I want to try and get out there today and take them tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    have you been happy with the KYBs? I'm looking at buying a set tonight off eBay. I also bougt a set of H&R
    Extremely happy with the KYB's. Wish that I had better streets to run them on, but i guess i have to live here in philly... But yea, very nice. No complaints.

man that really sucks. to maybe lighten the situation... your hood is dusty, I take it the teflon wax didnt hold up?
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Jasen let me know if you need it fixed up here - like I said we can bring down our truck and trailer so you don't drive on that!

OUCH! So, that strut mount must have been really tired. Did you inspect the mounts when you did the KYB swap in?

When you replace the mounts - I'm assuming you'll replace both - take some closeup pics of the other mount. I'd be real curious to see what the signs of fatigue might be.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast