GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 94 530iA slow from a stop

not sure but it will be a blessing in disguise.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Damn I guess some deams come true even if they are a bit late for me.

low power output is related to deteriorating components in the ingition and intake system, replacing them does quite a bit to kick the power. the trick is finding which ones are the ones making you slow and replace them.

the rear diff gearing is more designed for fuel econ than acceleration, a 3.64 will make it feel quite a bit nicer, as regal said.

i like to make starts in S4 because it goes to 2nd about 1000rpms higher and that makes the car much faster in both gears, then put it back to D right after it shifts to 3rd, or about 3500rpms ( i do wanna save gas!)

other than that, HOPEFULLY i will get my dinan chip in the next year for the transmission (ordered it last month i think) and i will see how that makes the car behave once it goes from 1st to 2nd and beyond.

all that being said my car does NOT feel "slow" at all, but mines probably about 200 pounds lighter (3640lbs with me in it) than yours and has NO air conditioning (if its on your car will be a lot slower) and i do use modified gasoline that does give me extra power, so i dont expect it to feel slow in any condition.... except when its wet and i cant corner over 25mph.... i need new tires :/

im editing this post after rereading the trans prog thing.. not good, replace fluid now if you dont know when it was last done.
    Last edited by BillionPa; 07-27-2006 at 02:59 AM.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Although only owning my 530 for a nearly a week now, I thought it was meant to start in 2nd if you've been sat in traffic? I've found that mine does that. I'm more than likely wrong though...

-Simon
    ---UK 05/99 BMW 523i SE, M52BTU25, steptronic, Chassis Number GH75179, 161,000 miles---

i didnt know the car had sport mode, how do I engage it?

I was looking into the dinan tranny chip.. from what the tech said.. It will enable the transmission to go into first gear. So from what he said I assume the tranny by default starts the car in 2nd gear when it is on "D"

I think S4 will enable the 1st gear start.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

how do i put it in sport mode?

move the gear selector into a lower gear. each lower causes the trans to shift at higher and higher rpm's.

just raced a brand new grand prix, their pretty quick but I still pull on them. only to about 115 but it seemed like he let off the gas at that speed 3 difft times...who knows...I wanted to see where his shut off, maybe it is at 115 where the power drops.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    I'm going to say that's the way they are. As an owner i can tell you that it's driven exactly how you say, like its starting in 2nd gear, for at least 10 years of its 12 year life. I hardly could blame the transmission.

I've never driven a car that's accelerated below 35mph this slow in my life, except for the shitty GMC sonoma we have at work.

I guess maybe the transmission could be broken.. somehow?

Don't worry, you'll get used to it Just put it in S4 or S3 and floor it, it moves, it just takes a second.

Its a 4000lb car with an automatic meant for relaxing driving. I don't think you could spin the wheels if you coated them in oil and drove the thing on glass.
    Owning the car for about a week now, I just noticed the same thing today (a/c off, windows down, so I hear the engine better, notice engined rev but the car moved slowly when taking off). I thought my trany slips to the 2nd gear. But it shifts just fine afterward. It did move if I floor it though. Will try sport mode tomorrow to see if there is any different. I'm so paranoid my new car. Someone tell me if this is normal?
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

i drove my car like a baby for 6 months... then started modding, getting better gas, better oil, new fluids, then found this forum.

i really can say im not very nice to my car now. i drive it like its on the track all the time (while staying at the speed limit)
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast