GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 95 525i making a whistling sound from wind

Default 95 525i making a whistling sound from wind

The car makes a whistling sound when driving at higher speeds. Can't figure out if it's the sunroof or front windshield. Any ideas on how to isolate the problem . Similar issues?

I have read somewhere that it could also be caused from missing jack point "blocking" bits. Have a look under the side guards where the jacking points are, there are supposed to be some bits of plastic or rubber covering some holes. If these are missing, air rushes in into the cabin and it sounds like wind noise.

I have this very issue with my car, I haven't bothered to check if what I wrote above is the case with me though.

My wind noise sounds like its coming from the front windscreen, and definitely not from the sunroof.

Take a look at your door seals as well. They could be pretty tired and ready for replacement.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Yeah, my car does the same thing at 100+ mph. I, like most people, hate high pitched sounds so it keeps me from doing stupid things

NovceGuru
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

Default plastic vent cover.

Check the plastic vent cover that's at the base of the windshield. The plastic fasteners loosen with age and allows wind under to vibrate the piece. I had my brother N law seal it closed with some silicon. No more whistle/rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgowan
    Check the plastic vent cover that's at the base of the windshield. The plastic fasteners loosen with age and allows wind under to vibrate the piece. I had my brother N law seal it closed with some silicon. No more whistle/rattle.
    Urethane on body parts ***only**. Silicon is not to be used on painted metal, it causes water to get under it (soaking into the paint when the area gets wet. Then the silicone prevents the water evaporating and you get RUST, a generally bad thing on any car...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I had a whistle for a while too. Found out my back driver's side window regulator (probably that plastic gear) crapped out and the window was cracked open about 1 mm open. Not enough to let water through, but just enough to whistle. I managed to pull the window the last bit manually and all's been quiet since.