GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ::.. Hood doesn't open

Default ::.. Hood doesn't open

Looking at another 89, the hood doesn't open. Pull the release but nothing happens. Can foribly pull the hood forward and the front props up, but the two latches near the windshield refuse the budge, thus hood cannot open. This something one can partake on their own, or should it be brought in?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Looking at another 89, the hood doesn't open. Pull the release but nothing happens. Can foribly pull the hood forward and the front props up, but the two latches near the windshield refuse the budge, thus hood cannot open. This something one can partake on their own, or should it be brought in?
    Are the hood struts worn out? I replaced both on my 525 and for the first time when I pulled the lever the hood actually popped forward and up without having to pull from the front.
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

Quote Originally Posted by jnmip
    Are the hood struts worn out? I replaced both on my 525 and for the first time when I pulled the lever the hood actually popped forward and up without having to pull from the front.
    They could be worn out, but won't be able to tell because the hood is latched down and won't release

Default The two latches near the wind sheild

are just catches for those black rubber rollers to ride down and secure the hood.

If you pull up and forward at the nose of the hood, they should disengage and allow the hood to lift up and open.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    are just catches for those black rubber rollers to ride down and secure the hood.

If you pull up and forward at the nose of the hood, they should disengage and allow the hood to lift up and open.
    Well I can get the front forward and up... but I cannot lift the two 'rollers' near the windshield as it's still 'caught'.

Basically it's like this but won't lift up. BTW it's not my car with the problem *whew *

sounds to me like the hinge at the front is seized up a little, spray some penetration fluid on both sides of the hinge and work the bonnet back and forth, you should be able to get it free at some point

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    sounds to me like the hinge at the front is seized up a little, spray some penetration fluid on both sides of the hinge and work the bonnet back and forth, you should be able to get it free at some point
    Holy moley, mind's in the gutter

On a side note, I'll PBBlaster that thing next time I go there.

Quote Originally Posted by blue540
    The lock mechanism is actually not that bad to get at. I replaced mine (wide grill version, not sure about narrow grill)

My mechanism broke completely, no matter how hard I pulled I could not release the catch. I had to saw through the metal bar that engages with the catch with a hack saw blade slid through the gap between the grill and the hood......it took hours.

Most of the grill parts just pop off, then a couple of screws for the lights and you can access the fixings for the catch.
    From the other thread...

Sounds good. Hopefully I don't have to hacksaw it open!

If you can get the hood to 'pop' up, the latch isn't your problem.

It almost has to be a matter of just pulling the hood forward far enough to get clear of those 'holders' in the back. Time to apply a little muscle...I know I couldn't go 2 weeks without looking under the hood for one reason or another!

i agree, the hinge is like a 2 stage dealy,i had problems with mine , i lubed up the movig parts and now its fine, although i do need the little helper shocks as i have to lift the front, it doesn't go up on its own like it should

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast