GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bike rack suggestions?

Default bike rack suggestions?

I've got a '94 540 sedan, with hitch. I'd like get some sort of carrier system for my bike and my girlfriend's bike. I've never had anything like this, so I really don't know pros and cons of the various systems available to me. I would like something that is easy to use, and can be uninstalled quickly(ie, I don't want a roof rack on my car all the time).

A quick look at Thule brought up several options: hitch mounted, trunk mounted, and roof mounted. Anyone have any experiences with this stuff?

Also--I have a spoiler. I'm not sure if that'll impact trunk mounted options or not.

Thanks
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    A quick look at Thule brought up several options: hitch mounted, trunk mounted, and roof mounted. Anyone have any experiences with this stuff?
    I have a Thule trunk-mounted bike rack that works like a charm. It hooks on six points (between trunk and rear window, each side of the trunk, and between trunk and bumper), and can be adjusted to reach over a spoiler.

If you need more info, I can figure out the model number. A good bike shop can help you find and adjust one that works for you.

Norman

I have a Yakima roof rack with King Cobra attachment. I like it but I would prefer a hitch mount. If you already have a hitch you should look into a hitch mount. Remember you get what you pay for. A good rack is expensive but worth it.

This is the cheap one I had on my 325. It worked but it ripped the rubber door seals.

Why would you prefer a hitch mount? Clearly installation/breakdown of the rack would be much easier with a hitch mount, but they also carry less than a roof mount, correct?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

I have Thule roof mounted ski and bike racks; These use the same roof rails, but the bike & ski racks are separate pieces. The Thule works pretty well, but can be aggravating to put on the car the first couple of times - even now, with practice, it can take up to 15 or so minutes. Roof mounts tend to generate lots of wind noise (duh), and I've found that friends with hitch mounts are a bit quieter. I've been thinking of getting a luggage pod like the one on shanek's car, don't know whether those come in hitch mounts.
    1989 325iX 5spd Coupe Koni Adjustable/H&R
    1989 535i 5spd Bilstein Sports/H&R, Tri-Flo, Conforti, UUC SSK

"If it isn't Diamondschwartz, it isn't... Dark Grey?"

Thule 962 for the sedan, but if you have the hitch...

why the hell not?

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Its easier to load a bike on a hitch than it is to to put it on the roof. My bike wieghs 45lbs and after day of riding liftng it onto the roof is a bit of a chore. The rack also scratched my roof. They come with rubber pads for the feet but it still managed to scratch it. I put some of that clear headlight protector film on it as soon as I noticed the scratch though. Its just personnel preference. If you go with a roof rack Yakima offers 2 different styles for our cars. If you go with the Q towers the rack will fit any vehicle, you just need a different set of clips.

I have had thule and yakima roof racks and I like the thule much better. I find it easier to use and feels better built. I do not trust trunk mount racks as they can easily scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by shanek
    I have a Yakima roof rack with King Cobra attachment. I like it but I would prefer a hitch mount. If you already have a hitch you should look into a hitch mount. Remember you get what you pay for. A good rack is expensive but worth it.

This is the cheap one I had on my 325. It worked but it ripped the rubber door seals.
    I have allway's driven a truck and I just bought 91 525. I have the same bike rack coming in tomorrow. do you have a side shot of you'r car with the rack on there? With how much my bike's are worth it scare's me to drop one going down the road.
    91 525 207000 miles
    Huntington Beach CA
    www.hbtravelsearch.com
    www.homesforourtroops.com

suggestion: put them inside...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast