GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers

Default Mufflers

Hello Guys (or Ladies),,,,,,
    Just wanted to find out if anybody ever ventured out to replace their factory muffler with an after market like :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUFFL...ayphotohosting
    from Ebay.
    Jusst want to know if this is foolish or will improve looks and performance?

The oval is ugly, but i have thought about the stainless DTM mufflers. Stainless is a good thing, and their prices are cheap...bbut they are basically just glasspacks, the body may last forever but the fiberglass packing will wear out quickly. At least they look ok.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

i personally think that would look good. i also think it would give a ricey tone. probably not a deep, mellow sound. more like the raspy loud sound you often hear from cheap "rice cannons" or large blow through glass back style mufflers that you often see on the back of hondas.

Quote Originally Posted by hatched91
    i personally think that would look good. i also think it would give a ricey tone. probably not a deep, mellow sound. more like the raspy loud sound you often hear from cheap "rice cannons" or large blow through glass back style mufflers that you often see on the back of hondas.
    Or being torn off them as they jounce over the speed-humps they were never 'modified'* to manage...

*my engineering term for 'cut 3 coils off with a k-mart grinder'

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

the muffler looks crap

Quote Originally Posted by The Melmaan
    Hello Guys (or Ladies),,,,,,
    Just wanted to find out if anybody ever ventured out to replace their factory muffler with an after market like :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUFFL...ayphotohosting
    from Ebay.
    Jusst want to know if this is foolish or will improve looks and performance?
    You'll get what you pay for. BE careful not to turn your car into a ricer, which in my opinion is what mufflers like these do. If you want try and improve performance, sound and maybe appearances go with the Bavarian Autosport tri-flo performance exhaust system.

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

It's a piece of crap, won't fit, will rot in a heartbeat if you do manage to install it and certainly will not do a thing to increase performance.
    If you like the look thats your business.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Don't do what I did. Here's a pic of the set-up I put on in April. Finally back to stock form. My tech told me I cut exhaust volume in half, costing me performance and fuel economy because of too much back pressure. And it's true. Before, at 120 kph, engine was at 3200 rpm. Now, it's around 2800, cruise control on. And finally, it's quiet again.... no more droning and humming telling me to go postal..... It ain't a Honda or a damn lawn mower.... especially if you have automatic. Go for stock........

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

don't buy that junk. rather go to an exhaust service where you can choose or make custom exhaust. now, you can choose if you just wanna change the tips, or you want different sound or sth.

i prefer silent exhaust

i modified mine, i used stock exhaust system, i just did custom tips, i told the guys what i wanted, and they did a great job.

check the attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by filip00; 07-26-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Default custom?

<i modified mine, i used stock exhaust system, i just did custom tips>

If you're using an OEM muffler, how do your "custom tips" differ from the factory chrome tips:

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/...167&modelid=15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast