GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in group production of an intake manifold to supercharge a 535i?

TC535i Guest

Default Any interest in group production of an intake manifold to supercharge a 535i?

Well, it's time for my annual post here. Those of you who've been around know me... those that don't...

Anywho... Been putzing around with the 5, and I've gotten an itch to boost the damn thing till she pops... well, just before, anyhow. I installed a Downing Atlanta supercharger on my 318, and would REALLY love to push some pressure on this 535i. 9:1 compression stock, turbo guys are getting 400 wheel torque (~475tq at the motor) with 12-13 psi... these things have potential.

On the 318, the DASC leaves the computer stock. It adapts an Eaton M62 compressor (same one a Mercedes C230 uses) onto a custom-made manifold. This manifold allows you to bolt it straight onto the head, plus it mounts the supercharger and aligns the nose pulley in line with the belt you'll be modifying to power the compressor.

The other option would be to mount it wherever you can, and get some sort of adaptor made up to harness the output air and duct it to the stock manifold.

I'd love to get some sort of custom manifold made up, but obviously there's costs involved for a 1-off production like this. Spreading that over several people would help keep costs down, and if we could come out with a kit to retrofit a supercharger on that's readily available in junkyards nationwide, I think there could be some demand.

Would there be any interest on here from M30 guys in doing something like this? Anyone have any good contacts in the machining world that could make us something like this?

-Tim

I'd be interested in a huffer for the m30. Pulley's & mounts would be the big concerns for me.
    erased due to slander

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    I'd be interested in a huffer for the m30. Pulley's & mounts would be the big concerns for me.
    Pulleys shouldn't be too bad, depending on the routing of the drive belt, you can make brackets with idler pulleys and reroute the belt.

Mounting the s/c is going to be a little trickier. With a tiny Powerdyne type supercharger (the belt-driven turbo lookin thingies), you get much more flexibility about how to mount it, where to put the throttle body, etc etc. With a full-on Eaton blower, it's much larger, so you have to work around stuff. Some other kits relocate accessories (alternator, etc), that might be in the cards. Problem is, those Powerdyne's are slow to build boost and keep building to redline, while with an Eaton you can get your boost early and hold it (I get 7.5psi at ~3000rpm and stays flat). Plus M90's are dime-a-dozen in wreckers (from tbirds, grand prix gtp, etc etc), you're not gonna find Powerdynes.

Quick underhood shot of the free-eighteen just after I finished installing my supercharger... you can see the s/c and custom manifold.

If you in the middle of the picture on the left side, you'll see a pulley with a red circle... that's one of the ones added by the kit. You can also kinda see one hidden under that upper radiator hose. The additional FMU is obvious, right in front there... that rear bypass elbow is custom made, to mount up to the stock throttle body. I made some changes (ducted the intake down into the bumper, etc), but that gives you an idea, altho it would obviously be different on the M30.

Anyone remember that Alpina shot of the M30 from the B10 biturbo, with the headers glowing? The intake manifold had the inlet pipe coming in from the driver's side as opposed to the passenger side as it is now... anybody know anything about that manifold setup?
    Last edited by TC535i; 07-25-2006 at 06:21 PM.

How fun are the nuts on the bottom of the intake to the head? I'd hate to think the starter would be in the way of that job.
    Could an intake filter setup from an m50 could be used instead of the obligatory cone filter.
    More importantly, what does an appropriately sized eaton sell for in today's market? How much for a small batch of machined manifolds?
    erased due to slander

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    How fun are the nuts on the bottom of the intake to the head? I'd hate to think the starter would be in the way of that job.
    Could an intake filter setup from an m50 could be used instead of the obligatory cone filter.
    More importantly, what does an appropriately sized eaton sell for in today's market? How much for a small batch of machined manifolds?
    Not sure on the M30, maybe someone that's pulled a head could answer that? Intake will depend on where the throttle ends up.

Eaton M90's can be had at junkyards around here for ~$100. The manifolds is what I'm not sure about.

What about a G60 VW Coraado unit ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    What about a G60 VW Coraado unit ?
    I know little to none about Rotrex blowers. Would it lend itself to this application well?

Do tell...

I would have thought the best option to be get an old M30 manifold, Alpina-ise it (plate the RHS intake and carve the intake on the back side as Alpina did: ie

Relocate the oil canister (good move anyway) and fit a small SC.
    Perhaps have to move the charcoal canister and PS fluid resovoir.

Advantages
    • can be used by those who Turbo as well
    • Cheap to source
    • Well proven intake design
    • Looks good
    The question is, what blowers would fit with it...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

TC535i Guest

That's what I was thinking. Problem is, I'd probably want the throttle BEFORE the supercharger. Ideally, it would go:

Filter -> AFM -> Throttle -> Supercharger -> Intake manifold

So, we might not want the throttle mounted right up there... but I'd rather work on the driver's side of the car, I think.

filter >> AFM >> supercharger >> intercooler >> intake manifold >> individual throttle bodies

BAM!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast