GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use POR-15 rust prevent?

Default Anyone ever use POR-15 rust prevent?

I have a couple spots on the car where I can see it getting brown. I want to dab some of this stuff on the car and paint over it (touch up paint, these arent very noticeable spots). input?

Put some Gold Bond on it.

yeah..

Anyway.

Good stuff... really good stuff. I used it on several 4x4's and had great results with it. It acts like a sealer as well as rust eater/primer converter kinda thing.

Good stuff...scrap off the chunks first. I've used on many English cars with great results..
    Rob
    Last edited by Chowchilla Skunkwerks; 07-23-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

I've used POR15 for years but, like any other rust preventitive or sealer, you have to get both sides of the metal if it's rusting from behind. Treating bubbling rust on the outside is a waste of time without getting at the core of the problem.

Paul

Not right for what you are talking about using it for - the top coat won't stick unless you also buy the specific undercoat to go over the POR. I've used lots of it - boat engines, many boat parts, boat trailer, etc and have had mixed results. If you don't get the prep exactly right, it just peels off. If you don't use the special coating over it and under other paints, they just peel off.

For what you are talking about - spot repairs - I'd go the traditional rust converter, primer, touch-up paint route.

BTW - if you get it on your hands you get major staining that lasts for days - don't ask me how I know.

Ian

'90 E34 M5
    '89 E34 535i
    '74 R90S
    MB 560SEC
    '74 Jensen Interceptor
    '54++ VW Subaru Turbo hybrid
    etc

I am going to order their little kit which preps the metal and such - they say the POR-15 just needs to be covered by opaque paint, which is what I intend to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella
    Not right for what you are talking about using it for - the top coat won't stick unless you also buy the specific undercoat to go over the POR. I've used lots of it - boat engines, many boat parts, boat trailer, etc and have had mixed results. If you don't get the prep exactly right, it just peels off. If you don't use the special coating over it and under other paints, they just peel off.

For what you are talking about - spot repairs - I'd go the traditional rust converter, primer, touch-up paint route.

BTW - if you get it on your hands you get major staining that lasts for days - don't ask me how I know.

Ian
    He's right. I did an entire frame up on a 74 Bronco and used POR-15. That stuff is tough as nails but you need to prep it right or it's useless. It's a pain to paint POR-15. For minor repair, go the traditionnal route. I have found that POR-15 is best for anything hidden or underneath. And unless you're willing to shoot it (major PITA), you're gonna brush it or roll it on and it's not going to give you great results as far as finish and you need all those specials paints from the company.

Wear heavy rubber gloves, like kitchen gloves and long sleeves, and a mask, that stuff stinks and gets you high pretty quick... If you get some on your skin, forget about it, don't even try to wash it out, you'll just get frustrated. You're stuck with it for a couple of day so enjoy...

Jeff
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

Ok so what would a conventional method before for covering very small surface rust (thing like a rock chip that had a little brown in it) without using POR-15?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast