GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Problem starting my 525i E34

Default Problem starting my 525i E34

Hi,

My 89 525i M20 has real problems starting.

In the morning when its cold you turn the key and it fires after about 1 sec but instantly cuts out. The 2nd time it will fire again after a couple of seconds but then instantly cut out. I've found the only way to start the car is to press the pedal to the floor and crank it until it'll go (with lots of grey smoke from the back). Also you have to rev it up to about 3000rpm, because for the first few seconds it will cut out for a moment and then come back. 3000rpm is enough to catch it again but any lower and you have to start cranking again. For the first 10-20 seconds it also runs very rough, as if its only firing on 3 cylinders. Before posting this I've searched this forum and the internet but I'm no nearer.

This morning a mobile mechanic was working next door and after asking him very nicely he read the codes from the car (free of charge ). It came up with fuel pump relay, injectors 1,3,6 and idle valve windings. I dont know what the "exact" codes were. I swapped the fuel pump relay with a used but known working one, and it's made absolutely no difference.

I'm wondering if error codes are a bit like compiling a computer program, you make one mistake and it causes a whole list of compiler errors. Could the problem be one single thing causing those faults to register?

I disconnected the idle control valve as I read somewhere the idle speed should rise to 2000rpm. It actually made it drop to about 550rpm. Is this right and could there be a clue here? With the idle control valve connected you can feel it vibrating and it makes a bit of a noise as if its spinning inside - is this normal?

I purchased the car in January 2004 and as far as I can tell its been neglected since the last owner bought it in March 2000. Its now done 190'000miles.

I'm not in a position to be able to test the fuel pressure and have limited resources (money) to have the car looked at professionally so any ideas or suggestions on how to repair it are greatly apprichated. Theres a 90 535i at a local breakers at the moment parts are available very cheaply though all the fuel/air mixture components are different as its a 3.5

Oh, when the cars warm it starts OK though it does still sometimes cut out within the first few seconds.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Maddog Guest

Hi, the u've unplugged the connector on the idle valve, try removing the air pipe on the idle valve that connects into the inlet manifold. that should increase the rpm to 2000. also check to make connectors next to the fuel pressure regulator (the ones that connect onto the water pipe housing to the water pump)

good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by uk525ia
    Hi,

My 89 525i M20 has real problems starting....

below the intake theres a plug thats for the injectors and temp sensors, it can get water in it and rust the pins, id check out that, it has 6 or 7 pins and is round
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it