GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Sparkplugs....experienced guru's help

Default Bosch Sparkplugs....experienced guru's help

About a month ago is when my engine pooped out and after tearing down the engine I found that the electrode on one spark plug had broke off and pretty much destroyed the cylinder and the plug is pretty much smashed/stuck in the housing. Have any you experienced veterans ever heard, seen, repaired an engine where the electrode broke and caused significant damage? My buddy has seen three incidents of it, all bmws (though different engines), and all used Bosch plugs...

just about all of the trashed plugs i've found that something in the cylinder damaged the plug once i've torn it down to see the real story, the most common bosch plug failure i come across (besides the general shittyness of the platinums) is where the threaded bung is welded to the nut breaking along the weld and leaving half of the plug in the head, this is easy to fix as theres now a nice clean 1/4" or so hole to stick a extractor in and unscrew it
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

winfred, what plug/wire combo for a 535i? I dun wanna start another new thread asking something that ha sproly been answered

W8LCR / 7509 bosch supers and oem wires, they are solid core wire and are about as good as it gets

Quote Originally Posted by misfortune
    winfred, what plug/wire combo for a 535i? I dun wanna start another new thread asking something that ha sproly been answered
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

busted electrodes and ceramic failure is usually caused by detonation/preignition (spark knock). Overheating and other problems lead to this catastrophic failure.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yeah there are a million threads on plugs but going through them to find out exactly what you are after takes ages! I saw on ebay recently a bloke selling 'genuine' plugs. The plugs came in little 'BMW Original Equipment' boxes and clearly had NGK stamped on them! So I don't know. They use Bosch for everything but NGK for plugs? Doesn't make sense to me. OR it might prove my theory of ebay = fake
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

The NGK plugs and Bosch super's are comparable plugs. Bruno uses NGK in leiu of Bosch on his racingking.net site. Either going Bosch supers(1.50 per) or NGK(5.00 per) will fit the bill. I prefer to go bosch throughout where possible.

In the end, all I really know is don't use the platinums.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Yeah there are a million threads on plugs but going through them to find out exactly what you are after takes ages! I saw on ebay recently a bloke selling 'genuine' plugs. The plugs came in little 'BMW Original Equipment' boxes and clearly had NGK stamped on them! So I don't know. They use Bosch for everything but NGK for plugs? Doesn't make sense to me. OR it might prove my theory of ebay = fake
    BMW use EITHER NGK or BOSCH depending on the year model of the car.
    I personally prefer NGK to Bosch through my racing/ turbo mod experience.
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    The NGK plugs and Bosch super's are comparable plugs. Bruno uses NGK in leiu of Bosch on his racingking.net site. Either going Bosch supers(1.50 per) or NGK(5.00 per) will fit the bill. I prefer to go bosch throughout where possible.

In the end, all I really know is don't use the platinums.
    My 4-anode Plats are still running well- I'll be posting pics of them all soon so you can check em out after 18 months and 20,000km... Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

It'll be nice to see what kind of buildup they have after 20K. On other engines, I found white powder on the electrodes. It also made the engine run a bit hot. I haven't ventured that route with my bimmer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast