GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Procedure for gas filler door hinge

Default Procedure for gas filler door hinge

Time to replace the gas filler door hinge. I know I have seen this procedure before on the site. Where do I go to find it or can someone just give me the details.
    Great site. Even greater cars. I thought the 2002 was fun.The e34 535 even with an auto is a blast. Just ask that guy with the Hemi Dodge Pickup. The only words his son needs to know is smoked.
    Thanks,
    Will Ollison
    1990 535
    1981 528i
    1975 2002

Default There are two little tabs that can be compressed

with flat blade screwdrivers. You can compress both tabs at once with TWO flat blade screwdrivers, then the door/hinge assembly will pull straight toward you and off the car. (You may need three hands for this.) Once you have it off, you'll be able to see how to get the hinge off the door and install the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by willobmw
    Time to replace the gas filler door hinge. I know I have seen this procedure before on the site. Where do I go to find it or can someone just give me the details.
    Great site. Even greater cars. I thought the 2002 was fun.The e34 535 even with an auto is a blast. Just ask that guy with the Hemi Dodge Pickup. The only words his son needs to know is smoked.
    Thanks,
    Will Ollison
    1990 535
    1981 528i
    1975 2002

Default That is one way, but it is not necessary

As Warren says, you might need an extra hand. Since I was only born with two, I simply broke out the old worn out hinge. I can see no reason to fuss with getting it off in one piece. One piece of advice is to attach the fuel door onto the new hinge and then put them onto the car. They just snap into place. The first time I did this, I put the new hinge onto the car by itself and then spent quite a bit of time trying to attach the fuel door. There might be a way to do this, but I finally gave up. Since I still didn't have that extra hand, I had to break out a perfectly good hinge and start over. They are very inexpensive and I had two of them on hand as I have two of these cars and both needed the replacement.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    with flat blade screwdrivers. You can compress both tabs at once with TWO flat blade screwdrivers, then the door/hinge assembly will pull straight toward you and off the car. (You may need three hands for this.) Once you have it off, you'll be able to see how to get the hinge off the door and install the new one.

Default Yup. Hinge goes on door, then door goes on car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    As Warren says, you might need an extra hand. Since I was only born with two, I simply broke out the old worn out hinge. I can see no reason to fuss with getting it off in one piece. One piece of advice is to attach the fuel door onto the new hinge and then put them onto the car. They just snap into place. The first time I did this, I put the new hinge onto the car by itself and then spent quite a bit of time trying to attach the fuel door. There might be a way to do this, but I finally gave up. Since I still didn't have that extra hand, I had to break out a perfectly good hinge and start over. They are very inexpensive and I had two of them on hand as I have two of these cars and both needed the replacement.

Dick Schneiders

Default Fuel Door Hinge

Thanks Warren and Dick. Piece of Cake.
    Will