GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: its true you can get a toyota echo sideways

Default OT: its true you can get a toyota echo sideways

No i didn't even use the handbrake, some of you may remember my defying physics power oversteering of a 525i on 235s
    now witness my greatest wet weather feat of stupidity. coming downhill to a 60 degrees ish turn, i felt that she was going to understeer into a parked car so i trail braked a little (no throttle only brake) and wooshga the backend comes out, luckily somehow i knew to release the brake and countersteer and i caught her (little snap back but nothing too bad). far out the rear end was vibrating like , sounded like really really bad axle tramp.
    that was frigging scary. and the scary thing was i wasn't going extremely fast either in hind sight i probably would have made it around the corner fine had i not trailbraked. i must admit without using the handbrake i thought it was pretty damned hard to get a FWD car to oversteer.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Using the brakes (any or all of them) places weight on the front end, providing greater grip (unless you stomp on them!!!), while removing weight from the rear end, thereby reducing grip. The Echo probably has about a 60/40 f/r weight bais sitting at a standstill, take some of that weight off of the rear tires and there is even more potential for swapping ends.

yeah it stops it from understeering most of the time which is what i am worried about when driving FWD car, as i said i was worried about that more than anything. we've always suspected they made the rear end a bit too firm as well.
    i'd wager it'd be more like 70/30 weight distribution, i'd say the hill has something to do with it as well, as the only other time its happened to me i was going down hill, but it wasn't anywhere near as spectacular as last night.

oh hell, i'll go and put my dunce cap on. what's the dif between oversteer and understeer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

understeer is when the driver is scared and oversteer is when the passinger is scared, my favorite definetion over is when you drift out the back end

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    oh hell, i'll go and put my dunce cap on. what's the dif between oversteer and understeer?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

usually happens off throttle when the weight transfers to the front end, i got a big jap car sideways avoiding a douchebag a while back, drop throttle oversteer is not that fun, never tried it in the king of dto cars though, the 911

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    i thought it was pretty damned hard to get a FWD car to oversteer.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    usually happens off throttle when the weight transfers to the front end, i got a big jap car sideways avoiding a douchebag a while back, drop throttle oversteer is not that fun, never tried it in the king of dto cars though, the 911
    the difference with this tick tack and a 911
    is that i had a chance in hell of catching it after it went. yeah, but thats because the 911s natural tendency is to oversteer! well at least the real 911s (911-993). still the echo has a really short wheelbase and cheese cutter tyres so i was very lucky. i think most people would have stayed on the brakes but luckily i released them after she broke loose. its not like you are thinking you just kind of do what you're used to doing in that situation.
    boy i think might go buy a lottery ticket
    Last edited by rob101; 07-22-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Front wheel drive cars kind of scare me in general, and weight transfer only makes them worse. Ask me about the time in high school I almost killed my girlfriend and I while trying to trail brake down a wet exit ramp in her white VW cabriolet. She said she thought it was fun, but refused to ever let me drive that $hit box again. Sigh.
    1989 325iX 5spd Coupe Koni Adjustable/H&R
    1989 535i 5spd Bilstein Sports/H&R, Tri-Flo, Conforti, UUC SSK

"If it isn't Diamondschwartz, it isn't... Dark Grey?"

Added to your episode of getting your bimmer sideways the other day, what you are really trying to tell us Rob is that you are a crap driver ?

Or else that you need a chauffeur !
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 07-23-2006 at 05:30 PM.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Added to your episode of getting your bimmer sideways the other day, what you are really trying to tell us Rob is that you are a crap driver ?
    in a word
    yes
    seriously though i am going to do some defensive driving courses. I've been intending to do some for a long time and i really do enjoy driving alot but i worry that without sharpening my skills the actions of the and deranged friendly fellow drivers (read: psychos who are trying to kill me) i will become a statistic.
    Last edited by rob101; 07-23-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast