GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to install rear subframe bushes and failed

Default Went to install rear subframe bushes and failed

Yesterday Stacey from Sydney came over to change his rear subframe bushes. I thought it would take about 4 hours to change over, but was I wrong. After 8 hours, we didn't end on doing anything! The subframe bolt didn't want to come out easily for starters. Anyway, we pull out the subframe puller tool and the threaded chase broke twice, while trying to remove the bush - yes every part of the tool was lubed with grease. The bush was out by about 2cm but we managed to put in back in. This job seems like it will take a long while. Stacey was going to try and get a stronger threaded chase. I don't know what else to say. Bye.

eeeeek!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I've done this job.

I can't imagine doing it without the BMW tool. You should see that thing - hardened steel and superfine threads. The torque it takes to push in one of those bushings is huge.

You're gonna need a serious core bolt to make this work. Something akin to an old headbolt.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Thanks Jeff, We had a look on your writeup on Bruno's site. We turned the nut on the thread very slowy, around 1/2 a turn every 5 seconds. We tried to press in the bush with the floor jack but the whole car started lifting! I even have the p-80 lube ready.

what about cutting the old bushing out with a saws all? then all you need to do is worry about getting the new ones pressed in.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    what about cutting the old bushing out with a saws all? then all you need to do is worry about getting the new ones pressed in.
    Or heating up the subframe? Metal expands... people I heard about did it with a heat gun (for electrical shrink tape)... it will not damage the brake lines (they run to 500 degrees odd in use), the fuel lines just need something over them to be safe... Just a thought. Man I wish I was there. Not that it might have been much good to you, but crumbs, Stacey perhaps Heasmans would have been the go after all...

For good fasteners you can get all sorts of things from Masbolt in Wetherill Park, they have hardened machine threads and all sorts of things. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default Bushing is rubberized...

..suspect if you heat it up, it will just sort of melt to the subframe.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Or heating up the subframe? Metal expands... people I heard about did it with a heat gun (for electrical shrink tape)... it will not damage the brake lines (they run to 500 degrees odd in use), the fuel lines just need something over them to be safe... Just a thought. Man I wish I was there. Not that it might have been much good to you, but crumbs, Stacey perhaps Heasmans would have been the go after all...

For good fasteners you can get all sorts of things from Masbolt in Wetherill Park, they have hardened machine threads and all sorts of things. Nick
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

Default Yup...as I said - huge torque...

... when we did it, the tool was groaning the entire time. I think you can get your tool to work but you're going to need to really beef up that center bolt. Like going to a load rated bolt with fine threads...

The one in the pic looks a little whimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Thanks Jeff, We had a look on your writeup on Bruno's site. We turned the nut on the thread very slowy, around 1/2 a turn every 5 seconds. We tried to press in the bush with the floor jack but the whole car started lifting! I even have the p-80 lube ready.
    Bellevue WA

Good call Jeff - BMW tool sounds like the way to go.
    We got one bush out by 15% - after breaking 2 shafts. Luckily was able to get the damn thing back.
    I'll be leaving this one to the pro's - even if there's a chance of getting the old bushes out, I don't trust the non-bmw tool to get the new ones in.
    Big Kriss - I'll call you tomorrow.
    Stacy Au
    535i 5 speed '88
    Track pack = camber plates/king springs/m5 Nurb' sways/17"bbs 3pcRS e34 spec/chip.

Default The Sawz-All Method

http://www.tycksen.com/bmw/tech/subf...dJKvYmZGw3itv2

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast