GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question on lowering my car.

Default Noob question on lowering my car.

So my car has 120k miles on it. I've been wanting to lower it, but I've recieved a bit of advice/criticism from some people.

*My brother, who is very protective of my car for some reason, told me I shouldn't lower it since it's an old car it will have old shocks which is a bad combo, and that it will mess with the alignment.

*My friend advises that I should get rims first (17"-18") and then see if I still want to lower it. He also added that lowering your car with stock 15's is "gay".

Anyone have any experience with any of this? Thanks.

If you lower your car, get some new shocks too, that solves your brothers bad combo problem.

Is it more gay to have a low car with small rims, or have big rims that with stock suspension, which makes it look like you have a 4x4? Hmmm. Suspension first buddy.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

i suggest definitely buying new shocks when buying springs, if you only change springs, the shocks will lose their function in less than 1k miles.

i also suggest switching to 17".

I think the wheel well gap looks about 10million times "gayer" than the tasteful if not conservative stock wheels... Not to mention good suspension won't break the bank, good rims+tires might though... depending on what you like

lowering your car on stock 15" is not gay at all. the ride is a bit better imo.... go with shocks and springs, then get the wheels. 17 or 18" is your choice, my vote is 18" but then again I'm biased. make sure you buy the BEST tires you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by filip00
    the shocks will lose their function in less than 1k miles.

that's a myth, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

its not the gap because if you get the right tyre rim combo the outside diameter is the same,so the gap between the tyre and the guard remain the same regardless of wheel size.
    Gone but not forgotten

Exactly what I thought Paul. I would definately go with shocks/springs over wheels. The same gap will be there regardless of wheel. 18 wont fill up the gap any better than 17. I have 17 and really wish it was lowered.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

You will want new springs and shocks when you lower it. If possible, obtain an adjustable camber kit for the rear, im not sure if they are even available for the e34 yet though.

My car is lowered with stock 15s. I dont think it looks gay

Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

it's not a myth at all. if you lower your car, using lowering springs, and leaving the shocks STOCK, then it will only work okay if lowering up to -35mm. everything lower is making the shocks work their way unnaturally, and it will cause them to fail.

To play s advocate, I understand the "want" for the wheels. imo, you will get more atttention/bragging rights, with better looks, when you upgrade the wheels. I received 300% + attention after putting the wheels on, had everyone admiring. The wheels did add a bit of performance value as well, due to the size of the bigger tires.

However, the entire time I had the wheels on, I COULDN'T WAIT till I could get it lowered. And once I did, COMPLETE bliss. Not only does it look 100 times better than before it was lowered, handling is superb! Makes me feel like the "king of the world" when overtaking cars at ease on corners, or when I chuckle at the 35mph yellow caution sign showing a truck in hte process of tipping on its side, while I glance down and see my speedometer at 50+mph, and no loss of control.

So to answer your question.. DO BOTH! :-D

Shop around, do some research for the best wheels and tires of your liking and performance/safety value, while also setting aside some funds for the suspension upgrade (including springs & shocks). Do it all at once. Everyone, including you, will be very happy! :-D
    Last edited by saj3n; 07-21-2006 at 06:09 PM.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast