GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 E34 - Dealer Can't Find the Radio Code

Default 1995 E34 - Dealer Can't Find the Radio Code

Hello - I've searched the Forums and I can't seem to find anything out about this.

I'm the proud new owner of a '95 525i with 88k on it - but the dealership I bought it from (non-BMW) didn't have the code for the radio. I was told by a BMW dealership that it was no big deal, all I had to do is drive down there and prove I owned the car, and the code was mine.

Problem was, when I got there they couldn't find the code for it. They wrote down the radio serial number and tried it with all three manufacturers (Alpine, Pioneer, and Blankpunkt) and no codes came up. They had four workers independently look at the serial number, write it down, and try it on the computer to make sure there wasn't any clerical errors. Nothing.

What is going on?!? If I have to get a new radio - where would I get a decent stock one cheap? (I want to keep the car as pure as possible).

Thanks! This is a great forum!

I'd try a different dealer. I have never heard of this problem. To find a replacement unit I'd look on ebay. It could also be a great time to upgrade to a CD43. I love mine and no one can tell it did not come with the car.

call our local dealer at 225-754-1200 and ask for parts and then a radio code, give them the serial #, i've not seen a Blaupunkt in a us e34, you can tell a alpine from a pioneer by the smooth aluminum heat sink on the assend with a riveted on serial # where the pioneer has a ribbed sink and the serial # is printed on a .5" X 1.5" prone to fall off paper sticker
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Maybe the head unit was not the original headunit that came with the car. I say screw it and get a aftermarket Headunit that plays MP3's and with a front Aux port. who ever needs cd changer any more.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

Well, I went to a second dealer (the only other one in the Mpls/St.Paul area), and they got the same result. Do I just break down and buy another one? Is there anywhere else I can go? The radio is in decent shape, I'd hate to put money into something like that - when it can go other places in the car.

can they search serial number of the radio? or just vin?

$100-$150 will get you a much more modern headunit. one that will play MP3 on CD , with Aux port in front... maybe engine a usb port in the front. look on ebay there is a lot of deals.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

Dealers can either go by the cars VIN or radio serial number.

If they can't find it using either of those methods chances are it was a replacement fitted by the PO or an old stock ebay special coded for another region, hence why a US dealer may not be able to find it for you.

P.m me the last 7 of your vin and I'll see what I can find out for you.
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

Just stick a alpine mp3 player in there. It's black, costs, squat, and works perfectly.

ill post some pics of why that's not always a good idea later

Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    Just stick a alpine mp3 player in there. It's black, costs, squat, and works perfectly.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

**********s hit our yard friday and trashed our 840i shop toy that was parked in the warehouse for it's aftermarket headunit
    [img]http://members.cox.net/kitlou/****ed%20840.JPG[/img]
    what looks like the obc in the console on the floor is just the face, the guts are scatered about the car with the rest of the hvac/shifter parts, they even ****ed up the shifter, it now faces the wrong way, the amusing part is there was and still is a bmw tool kit screwdriver in the console
    [img]http://members.cox.net/kitlou/****ed%20840i.JPG[/img]

off the top of my head with dealer parts about $2k on damages, because the boss didn't want to wait for me to fix the factory head unit and had the flunky install a aftermarket shitbag bait radio

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    ill post some pics of why that's not always a good idea later
    Last edited by winfred; 07-23-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast