GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard starting

Default Hard starting

I've had my car about a year now, but I've known the car for four. As long as I've known the car, it has been a little reluctant to start. By that, I mean that you have to turn the key to 'start' for a good 2-3 seconds before the engine catches, which is a little longer than seems normal. Other than that, the engine sounds and feels normal when it does catch.

Lately I've noticed that on hot days with a warm engine it takes even longer -- maybe 4-5 whole seconds of cranking before it catches. This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes.

Besides the extra time I have to hold the key down, everything seems perfectly normal. Is this something I should worry about, or is it a harmless quirk?

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

I believe I brought this up yesterday with my 525 as well. Vapor lock was an idea tossed around, but I realized that it even happens with my motor cold (as in, not driven it all day then starting it for the first time sometimes).

As of yet, I still have no clue what's causing it.

Almost exactly the same thing occurs with my car.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Bruno has spoken.
    And there was great rejoycing.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Bruno has spoken.
    And there was great rejoycing.
    No, thats not the same thing. Its does it regardless of whether it is cold or hot.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Mine cranks in about three whurrrrs ...and I'm not far from you.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Im beginning to wonder if my battery voltage is too low. Is there any way i can check the battery/alternator output myself?
    southwest WA

Default I'm sorry ... but he said

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    Lately I've noticed that on hot days with a warm engine it takes even longer -- maybe 4-5 whole seconds of cranking before it catches. This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes.
    Martin and I have discussed why we think the 535 takes a bit to catch when cranked. Our best guess is that it's DME related. It likely takes a revolution or two of engine for the CPS to determine the rotational angle of the engine and initiate the spark. Our guess is that the newer DMEs are more aggressive or better able to determine this and therefore initiate the spark faster.

At least, that's our story and we're stickin' to it.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Im beginning to wonder if my battery voltage is too low. Is there any way i can check the battery/alternator output myself?
    There is a check valve integral to the fuel pump. Sometimes it just stops working, allowing fuel to drain back to the tank after shut down, hence the long cranking time. One cure is to purchase a separate valve. Check the procedure in the troubleshooting section of this site under M30 3.5 hot start job. Other than that it coud be a leaking injector.

hey guys,i just have a big problem my problem is the car refused to turn off after removed the key from the ignition,how i turn it off just remove the #23 fuse the fuel one turn off guest what happen the light stay on on the dashboard the light when you turn the key position 2 before start the car battery light check engine light abs now i removed the negatif terminal from the battery help please i do have a feeling the ignition switch please help thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast