GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: its so damn hot (getting some tint)

Default its so damn hot (getting some tint)

i went to get some window tint for all my windows. they had 2 types, limo style which was dark and not too reflective and an executive type which was less dark but more reflective. my friend picked limo because his 325 is black. He chose 5% on the back windows and 20% on the driver and passanger. i am thinking about getting the executive type at 15% all around but i am afraid it will come out too dark. then im also afriad to get it one grade less which i think is 25% and then come out too light. anyone have some input on this issue?

ask your local police
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    ask your local police
    I agree. Most reputable tint shops wont put on tint that is darker than the local laws allow. Most local po-po's get real nervous about very dark tint- most local law allow a little darker tint on the rear glass,,,and the rear windows, but require something around no more than 25% on the drivers and front pasg windows.

20% isnt bad,,,,,is dark, and still allows you to see out to back up, and see traffic from the sides. Just make sure that the tint shop you choose, uses a good quality tint film, and not the crap that winds up looking purple after a few months. A good tint job should run in the neighborhood of 200-250$.

The other thing to do, is get an accordion-fold wiindshield sun shade, (7 bucks at any auto parts store) for when your car is parked- since you cant tint the windshield, thats the weak spot for heat to get into your car- not to mention the sun damage to your dash and seats.

I did this the 2nd day I bought my 525. Texas (Houston actually) won't allow darker than 35% on the front windows, but you can go as dark as you want anywhere else. I did 5% limo on the back window and back doors, and the 35 on the front doors. Its like wearing sunglasses on the inside looking out, but from outside, you can barely see inside from the front doors, and its almost impossible from the back doors/window.

The tint, coupled with a reflective windshield shade, and one of those "as seen on tv" solar fan vents dropped my interior temperature from about 140+ to around the mid 90's which is somewhat tolerable and the car cools off a lot quicker. Couple that with the fact that vagrants can't see inside the car for security, and its compliant with the local laws, *and* 125 bucks for it installed.... I'm a happy camper!

I hate the looks of 5%. It makes it look like you spray painted the inside of your glass.

My previous car had 25% and I thought that was about right. Dark enough to look good and keep the truck from being 1000 degrees in the summer. But light enough to see out fine and the cops never bothered me. Really dark tint is just begging to be pulled over. It plants the seed of "what's this guy hiding...".

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    I did this the 2nd day I bought my 525. Texas (Houston actually) won't allow darker than 35% on the front windows, but you can go as dark as you want anywhere else. I did 5% limo on the back window and back doors, and the 35 on the front doors. Its like wearing sunglasses on the inside looking out, but from outside, you can barely see inside from the front doors, and its almost impossible from the back doors/window.

The tint, coupled with a reflective windshield shade, and one of those "as seen on tv" solar fan vents dropped my interior temperature from about 140+ to around the mid 90's which is somewhat tolerable and the car cools off a lot quicker. Couple that with the fact that vagrants can't see inside the car for security, and its compliant with the local laws, *and* 125 bucks for it installed.... I'm a happy camper!
    *and one of those "as seen on tv" solar fan vents*

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is your experience with that solar powered vent thingy-- Does it work? Do you have to put on the 'spacer' trim?

Don't forget that darker interiors will make the windows appear darker. My M5 has 20% on all windows but it looks like 35 from the outside because my interior is light silvergrey, practically white. If you have black interior you could do a 30 or 28% something around there and it would look darker than 20% on mine.

As far as the police, roll your window down when you get pulled over. I have never had problems in any of my older cars, and I had tint on all of them [and I got pulled over at least once in all of them too ]

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetr
    *and one of those "as seen on tv" solar fan vents*

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is your experience with that solar powered vent thingy-- Does it work? Do you have to put on the 'spacer' trim?
    Hey, that's a neat idea! I have two foldable solar panels... 6.6w and 12w... I can run a compact fan on those...

Anyway.

If you get too dark, you'll have hell of a time driving in the dark
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

The tint shops around here will put whatever tint you want on your car. Its not against state law to have tint in PA but there are counties and some towns that are more likely to pull you over and make you peal it and show up at the station a week later to avoid fines.

When I was pulled over for tint, the cop told me that I could only have the rear window 30% thats it. I called another station and they told me if its not factory its not legal. A lot of cars around my area have tint on all windows.

I had 5% on the back and 20% on the front of my Red 89 535i. It was feakin dark and hard to see at night in the rear view mirror. But it looked mafia, I loved it.

Currently I have 20% all around. Its dark but not too dark. My car is black so it looks very good. I would suggest 20% and as reflective as possible.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

yeah, I clipped on the weatherstripping on both sides of the fan. I put the fan on the back door window since its "Flatter" at the top (less curvage, better seal for the stripping and fan) and it pulls a lot of the stiffling hot air out. Its about 100-104 nowadays in Houston, and I park under an oak tree, but with everything working together, the interior was noticably cooler than with nothing at all.

As for the dark grade of tint I used and visibility (which was mentioned later down the thread) I have that almost white colored interior so it was very bright inside, and its still pretty gangsta' in the back, but its not as dark as say a black on black car with limo tint. (Mines white with almost white and light grey interior)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast