GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ball joints, 89' 525

Frank Guest

Default ball joints, 89' 525

My mechanic has reported that the ball joints on my 89' 525 are "shot". He also mentioned that to repair this problem both wheel arms have to be replaced. Estimated cost $500, parts and labor. I will be driving this vehicle 4-500 miles a week in the near future. Is this a must do, and is the price reasonable?
    Thanks

Default cost for parts..

from this board's supplier of choice, bma, is around 160 for both arms. i'm not sure how he calculates 500, but that is a little rich, to say the least.

Default Not that far off Ryan there are 4 ball joints, the lower control arm has

one and the upper thrust rod has one.. the price you quoted was only for the upper thrust arms with bushings, I would price all 4 before coming to any conclusions on the price of the job.

Default Depending on what's being replaced, $500 might be OK

If he's replacing upper and lower arms on both sides (with Lemforder-brand parts), then $500 is pretty reasonable. If you're going to put that much mileage on the car, you might as well bite the bullet & get a nice firm, shimmy-free front end.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    My mechanic has reported that the ball joints on my 89' 525 are "shot". He also mentioned that to repair this problem both wheel arms have to be replaced. Estimated cost $500, parts and labor. I will be driving this vehicle 4-500 miles a week in the near future. Is this a must do, and is the price reasonable?
    Thanks
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default ok, i see bma...

has each for 85, so roughly 330 to do all four (in parts) from bma, guess that's pretty reasonable if the gentleman's mechanic intends to do all 4 with decent parts. just curious bill, how do you know when the lowers are gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    one and the upper thrust rod has one.. the price you quoted was only for the upper thrust arms with bushings, I would price all 4 before coming to any conclusions on the price of the job.

Default Measurable play in the lower ball joint when you pry against it with

a pry bar, its not a lot of movement so you really have to pay attention. Sometimes you'll get popping and other noises from a bad joint when turning the steering wheel also.. If the movement in the lower joint is easily detected then you really have a bad joint.

Frank Guest

his breakdown was $175 for each front arm. $200 for labor. So everyone seems to agree this is a reasonable repair, though possibly exrobitant parts cost.

Default I'm missing something here, are you only replace one control arm on

each side? or are you replacing both the upper and lower on each side. I was thinking both on each side not one.

[QU OTE=Frank]his breakdown was $175 for each front arm. $200 for labor. So everyone seems to agree this is a reasonable repair, though possibly exrobitant parts cost.[/QUOTE]

Frank Guest

He didn't mention anything about upper or lower, just that replacements were required on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    each side? or are you replacing both the upper and lower on each side. I was thinking both on each side not one.

[QU OTE=Frank]his breakdown was $175 for each front arm. $200 for labor. So everyone seems to agree this is a reasonable repair, though possibly exrobitant parts cost.
    [/QUOTE]

you really need to ask him to specify if its the lower or upper control arm. if its the upper, there are beefed up components that you might want to get instead of the stock 525i parts. 175 for each arm is a little rich. the place i specified before, bma, will sell the beefed up uppers for 85 per arm. even though he might be passing more than the actual cost of the part because he is obtaining them, that's a little much to me, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast