GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Making your own Angel Eyes on a budget

Default Making your own Angel Eyes on a budget

I posted this as a reply, but I thought it would get more views with what it actually is instead. I'm considering doing this since the material cost is low, as is the commitment in labor.

http://www.geocities.com/crx_auto/eagle_eyes.htm

This guys instructions are pretty simple and even the novice modder could probably pull this off. I have access to 3 watt led's so I'm fairly confident these would be super bright, but I'm curious what they would look like behind the stock Hella glass lenses. I may just make one in a spare lens I have to make sure it doesn't get all broken apart by the pattern on the glass first, but for those of you who have clear lenses without the eyes, this may be a good, cheap alternative to buying a whole new set of lights with them already built in. Enjoy

i made those before. never actually installed them but i made the rings and lit them up. looks pretty cool but i wouldnt put it on my car, unless i had an e36 or something similar.

where do you get 3 watt led's

Hey these are cool. I am thinking you would need to hook them up to the light switch and also the fog light switch. Then you can have the one rear fog light on and the eyes on too so from the front it gives you more combinations of EY's on and off. Does anyone think its ok to run power through the actual switch giving it a little load. Normally with larger lights you would use a relay but LED's draw so little light I would think its ok to run through the switch. So anyway??
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

seems like everybody rushed into that page, so it exceeded its bandwidth limit..
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    where do you get 3 watt led's
    ebay

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    i made those before. never actually installed them but i made the rings and lit them up. looks pretty cool but i wouldnt put it on my car, unless i had an e36 or something similar.
    There are multi-colour ultrabright LEDs too... or these....

Specifications:
    Though neon has long been the mainstream of the outdoors linear lighting, it is also known for its technical weaknesses, including complicated installation, fragile glass nature, potential shock hazard, high maintenance cost and high power
    consumption. However, the market for outdoor linear lighting is so vast that many manufactures try to find a perfect substitute for neon, but they all fail to solve the above problems. With over 2 years' advanced LED technologicalresearch and development
    work, Neo-Neon has finally succeededin producing LEDNEON-FLEX to replace glass neon.
    Compared with glass neon, it is easier to cut and can be bent into whatever angles by hand, installation can be within minutes and most important,it gives no hot spot on appearance.

Installing Mode:
    The LEDNEON-FLEX is a versatile and user-friendly lighting device. It can be cut, bent and easily installed on the flat surface of various materials, such as wood, plastic, steel, or
    wall, etc. to form all kinds of pattern according to your design. And it can be easily connected to the power supply and then perform well.
    1. It is recommended to mark centerlines or draw the outline of your pattern on the surface of your desired positions.
    2. Secure mounting clips along the centerlines at appropriate intervals with screws. If there are curves, it is better to secure a mounting clip on and between each curve.
    3. Insert the light body into the mounting clips with the lighting parts upward.
    4. Connect each part together.

The LED door pins are not a bad idea, if only one could get nice ones....
    Last edited by genphreak; 07-19-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Why do it? Does it improve the lights or just look uh- different? Ij ust do not see any reason for the interest. Just my opinion.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Why do it? Does it improve the lights or just look uh- different? Ij ust do not see any reason for the interest. Just my opinion.
    Its cute if done subtly, but no matter how it's done (even at the factory) it has too much way too much WF for most.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!