GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Door panel clips-- did they do this to give me a headache?

Default Door panel clips-- did they do this to give me a headache?

The PO gave me a repacement door panel(right rear door-- the same one that had the broken window and regulator problem) that he ordered before but didn't get a chance to install before selling the car. I guess his dog freaked out and chewed/ate some of the fiberglass at the top of the door panel molding. He did a good hack job or piecing it back together, but clearly it needed replacing.

So I went up and got this door panel to install at my convenience-- this past weekend. I go to install it and the upper back clip just won't fit. I brought the door panel inside to compare to the old damaged one and I couldn't believe it! That clip, and only that clip on the broken panel has two mounting points, one is just above the other. The replacement does not have the second(correct) mounting point. Nothing....nothing, its a simple as it seems it should be. So I'm left with a what to do situtation.

I could just go without the clip, but since its a corner spot its probably more important than others in holding the panel tight. The vinyl around where this mounting point would be is a big loose, so I'm toying with the idea of drilling a hole in the fiberglass and finding a screw that I can fit in under the vinyl, and try to screw into a clip. I don't suppose anyone has run into this problem and found a better solution, but if so I'd love to hear it. Oh, in case anyone is curious, the anchor points for the clips are integrated into the fiberglass and it does not appear possible to remove and replace here.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

I am a little confused. I though the door panel only has a center sheet metal bracket and nylon inserts around the periphery of the panel. The sheel metal bracket slips in from the top and the nylon inserts simply lock into the holes and maybe snapped out using a putty knife.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

I actually ripped one of the clip mounts off the fiberglass when removing my door panel to replace a seized lock actuator. I just used some Gorilla glue to put it back on, seems to work fine. So you might try carefully removing the clip and gluing it on to the proper spot. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    I am a little confused. I though the door panel only has a center sheet metal bracket and nylon inserts around the periphery of the panel. The sheel metal bracket slips in from the top and the nylon inserts simply lock into the holes and maybe snapped out using a putty knife.
    I'm talking about the nylon inserts(door panel clips). The center bracket/clip to which you're referring appears identical, and seemed to fit fine when I was attempting ot install the replacement panel.

I actually ripped one of the clip mounts off the fiberglass when removing my door panel to replace a seized lock actuator. I just used some Gorilla glue to put it back on, seems to work fine. So you might try carefully removing the clip and gluing it on to the proper spot. Just an idea.
    Good idea, I'll take a look to see if I can make this happen.

Glue the clips back in proper position. Should be easy to see where they go by the old glue. My 95 has black pieces glued to the door panel. Then white plastic pieces screw into the black part which then press into the door.

On my 95, several black/white clips came off when I removed the front door panels and had to reglued. In fact the door pockets came loose as well. Back doors had no problems with clips.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

It might be possible but you see the problem here is that the replacement panel does not, and appears to never have had the second black holder for the white clip . So its not a matter of refastening it. I may be able to perform disection on the old panel and remove a black holder from there and glue it on the replacement, but I'm not quite sure how to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Glue the clips back in proper position. Should be easy to see where they go by the old glue. My 95 has black pieces glued to the door panel. Then white plastic pieces screw into the black part which then press into the door.

On my 95, several black/white clips came off when I removed the front door panels and had to reglued. In fact the door pockets came loose as well. Back doors had no problems with clips.

May be possible to just pry the black holder off the old panel. My experience seems to indicate the glue becomes a bit brittle over time and does not "stick" well. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Russell; 07-19-2006 at 06:19 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Can you post a pic? I've just had all my door panels out so I may be able to help.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I'll try to snap a picture tonight. Last night I used a dremel to cut off the clip holder from the damaged door panel and attempted to glue it to the replacement panel. It seems to be holding, which may be enough.

I also bought some small diameter screws that I may try if it fails. I'll drill a small hole in a clip, and a hold in the fiberglass of the panel and fit the screw + washer from the vinyl side into the clip which should provide the same kind of mobility/support that the existing clip holder/bracket does.