GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50-60 shimmy

Default 50-60 shimmy

1995 540i/6
    I've looked all over, but can't find anything in the archives. I had the 50-60 shimmy so I replaced the front end. (i.e., thrust arms, control arms, tie rods, etc.), but still have a small shimmy ONLY when passengers are in the car. Could the rear be a problem ? When I installed, I followed all the advice on the forums. I lowered the car before tightening everything. But just can't figure out what could be causing it. Would it make a difference how I reinstall the wheels ? Would a wheel out of balance cause it ?

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Do you have hubcentric rings on your wheels?---Really though, you must be joshing, there's a TON of stuff about this in the forums.

the hubcentrics were all i needed to get rid of mine..
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Could be

Quote Originally Posted by aurora6408
    1995 540i/6
    I've looked all over, but can't find anything in the archives. I had the 50-60 shimmy so I replaced the front end. (i.e., thrust arms, control arms, tie rods, etc.), but still have a small shimmy ONLY when passengers are in the car. Could the rear be a problem ? When I installed, I followed all the advice on the forums. I lowered the car before tightening everything. But just can't figure out what could be causing it. Would it make a difference how I reinstall the wheels ? Would a wheel out of balance cause it ?
    worn tie rod ends too!!

Default Tire Condition

If you've already replaced the usual suspect parts, and you have OEM wheels, check the individual tires for uneven wear, flat spots etc. Remove the wheels and clean the hub-wheel contact area with a wire brush.
    Definitely check the balance.

1995 540i/6
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

where did you buy your hubcentric rings?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

1995 540i/6
    Does the shimmy persist at speeds over 50-60, like say up to 75-80?
    If the shimmy comes on at 50-60, then 'drives out' or goes away by 70-75, then its probably wheel related(balance, crappy tire, wrong or missing hub centric rings.) What wheels/tires do you have? Are they OEM, or replacements?,,,,what size wheels/tires?

Default here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    where did you buy your hubcentric rings?
    i had them shipped from The Wheel Exchange for $40.00 came in about three days.. http://www.thewheelexchange.com/
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by mamilapon
    worn tie rod ends too!!
    No, replaced the thrust arms, stabilizer bar links, tie rods, & tie rod ends. Everything except the steering linkage. I have good Bilsteins, good springs, good tires. I haven't had a chance to align the front end yet, but don't see how that would make it shimmy at 50-60mph only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast