GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: For anyone doing front calipers or pads- these look like a good idea

Default For anyone doing front calipers or pads- these look like a good idea

Hey all,

I heard of brass Brake Carrier Bushings and the stock rubber ones- but Delrin (from UUC)? Anyone used these yet?

You can eliminate the 25 degrees of carrier rotation (side-to-side movement of the aluminum shifter carrier) with our precision CNC'd UUC Motorwerks Delrin Carrier Bushings. These precision machined bushings replace the original flimsy rubber bushing (which degrades over time) at the front of the aluminum carrier. We have tried harder rubber and urathane but found them to be substandard and continued to allow the carrier to flex.

Because of the tight tolerances of a computer controlled milling machine, tolerances can be held to 0.001" (about the width of a human hair) to ensure a perfect fit. We use only high quality, medical grade, teflon impregnated, heat resistant delrin for our bushings. Sure, it's more expensive and overkill, but to us, using only the best makes the best product.

Installation requires the removal of the carrier.

Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Based on the description, they seem to be for the Shifter Carrier, and not the caliper carrier. Delrin probably wouldn't stand up to the temps of the brake calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless_Kelly
    Based on the description, they seem to be for the Shifter Carrier, and not the caliper carrier. Delrin probably wouldn't stand up to the temps of the brake calipers.
    Doh!!

I see. (quick research): A DuPont plastic; only goes to 90 degrees though once marketed as a metal substitute.

Thanks for that.

Damn... I was liking the price- the brass ones are much more Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Default To me the brass ones are a bad idea anyway. These are not

dual piston calipers , they are a floating caliper and when you apply the brakes the pads may not be exactly square to the surface of the rotor, due to mechanical variations etc.

The rubber bushings allow some movement of the caliper to align itself squarely with the rotor. The brass ones supposedly are machined to a fairly close tolerance which would remove this ability to square itself up. I see this on a lot of other cars and frequently you end up with brake pads that don't wear evenly across the pad, one end of the pad will be worn down and the other end will have plenty of pad left since it wears on a taper when there is a misalignment. Dual piston or 4 piston calipers are fixed and the pistons can exert an equal amount of pressure on all the pad surfaces preventing this uneven pad wear from occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Doh!!

I see. (quick research): A DuPont plastic; only goes to 90 degrees though once marketed as a metal substitute.

Thanks for that.

Damn... I was liking the price- the brass ones are much more Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    dual piston calipers , they are a floating caliper and when you apply the brakes the pads may not be exactly square to the surface of the rotor, due to mechanical variations etc.

The rubber bushings allow some movement of the caliper to align itself squarely with the rotor. The brass ones supposedly are machined to a fairly close tolerance which would remove this ability to square itself up. I see this on a lot of other cars and frequently you end up with brake pads that don't wear evenly across the pad, one end of the pad will be worn down and the other end will have plenty of pad left since it wears on a taper when there is a misalignment. Dual piston or 4 piston calipers are fixed and the pistons can exert an equal amount of pressure on all the pad surfaces preventing this uneven pad wear from occurring.
    Great news Bill, I was thinking of getting some when I do mine next. Jeff has similar but not quite so (eloquent) sentiments. Nice to know I can really rest easy with the oem ones- thank you!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

yep replaced the stocker rubber ones in mine, all the old ones were kinda dry and loose compared to the fresh ones.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I do have them on my M3 shifter and I noticed a smoother shift

Im running the brass bushings currently, and I can say that my new pads and rotors JUST got broken in like, 2 days ago.

First impressions: mad bite, and slotted rotors sound so cool! it does "feel" different than the old brakes, but i cant tell if the feeling is mostly from one change or from the whole lot of em working together.

what i can say for certain is that the brass bushings get fricken filthy really quick, since there is no stopper on the back, the pin is exposed to the environment. I have a feeling i will be changing the bushings out once a year.

new calipers/carriers/rotors/lines/fluid/bushings did the following to brake feel:
    less initial bite, but greater bite with more pedal pressure. it feels more consistent, especially when wet. i can put my foot down fast but not far and not feel like the ABS needs to do anything.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue