GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Possibly dropped my e34 525i's clutch out?

Default Possibly dropped my e34 525i's clutch out?

Today I was leaving the auto parts store with a friend (bought some oil). He drove back and we were going to another friends house. He drove it pretty much like I normally do... a little spirited you could say. We turned onto the road my friend lives on and it revved real high in 4th. So he shifted to 3rd and it drove o.k. with a little high revving. Then any time shifting up into 4th it wouldnt get power... like it didnt kick into gear.

we drove to my friends house and let it sit for awhile. I decided to go home and left. I noticed as i was going down the hill leaving her house that it kinda made a rubbing feeling when i let out on the clutch like it was catching a little, letting off, catching, then fully catching. It did this a few times then i just got no power at all. I rolled to the side of the road. I can start the car fine, shifts normally and you can hear the gearbox still shifting. When you let out on the clutch it moves a tiny bit like 3 or 4 inches forward but does not catch or have power. I can let out on the clutch in gear and it does not stall.

Is my clutch dead?

-Micah

BMW 525i

Quote Originally Posted by boardburton
    Today I was leaving the auto parts store with a friend (bought some oil). He drove back and we were going to another friends house. He drove it pretty much like I normally do... a little spirited you could say. We turned onto the road my friend lives on and it revved real high in 4th. So he shifted to 3rd and it drove o.k. with a little high revving. Then any time shifting up into 4th it wouldnt get power... like it didnt kick into gear.

we drove to my friends house and let it sit for awhile. I decided to go home and left. I noticed as i was going down the hill leaving her house that it kinda made a rubbing feeling when i let out on the clutch like it was catching a little, letting off, catching, then fully catching. It did this a few times then i just got no power at all. I rolled to the side of the road. I can start the car fine, shifts normally and you can hear the gearbox still shifting. When you let out on the clutch it moves a tiny bit like 3 or 4 inches forward but does not catch or have power. I can let out on the clutch in gear and it does not stall.

Is my clutch dead?
    -Micah

Umm, yep, sound like it's gone. No easy cure except dropping the tranny + replacing the clutch disc + Pressure plate (TO Bearing too...).

Well if it works in 3rd but not in 4th, it sounds more like a transmission prob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Well if it works in 3rd but not in 4th, it sounds more like a transmission prob.
    As the gear goes higher - the torque load on the clutch increases. So its possible that its slipping and only showing up in the upper gears at this point.

If you are in 4th gear. And you mash the pedal from 30 mph and the clutch slips. You need a new clutch.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Default ...

No, It WAS slipping for about 10 minutes.

Now it doesn't do anything... I can turn it on and shift into first and let off the clutch and it doesnt stall or move or anything... Same with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and R. It might barely move a little bit.... but not actually keep moving.

BMW 525i

If you can shift gears as you just described,that means there is no friction between flywheel and clutch disc, indicates a completely failed clutch disc.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

It sounds like your clutch is toast.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

what year is your car? that one is for the m20... if you have the m50 it probly won't fit.