GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: Bilstein Sport shocks, E34

Default Review: Bilstein Sport shocks, E34

With the recent thread on KYB's and their comparison to other shocks on the market I felt a review of my recently installed Biltein Sports would be helpful. For quick reference- these were installed on a '89 535i with stock springs.

FWIW, I purchased these through BavAuto (cheaper than my cost through my shop with their current sale pricing!). $403 shipped for all four.

Install was very easy and straight-forward. The directions that come with them stink though. Most of it is obvious, but I wish they gave more specifics on the rear shock lower perch mount. I installed them at the height they came set as and hoped it was right (which it was).

I would like to compare these shocks to a new, stock set-up at some point for comparison sake since I'm coming from the most blown shocks I (or anyone at the shop) has ever seen. Zero rebound from front or rear, and the fronts could be moved up and down with VERY little resistance. Yikes!

Comfort/drivability- How anyone could possibly think these shocks are harsh or too stiff is beyond me. Roads are not great around here so you will feel discrepencies if your suspension isn't the best. Regardless of what I drove over, the shocks do a wonderful job with complacency. Rough rail road tracks are barely felt and rough joints on the freeway are neglegible.

Performance- As soon as I left the shop to head home I was thrilled to pass cars around a sweeping two-lane on ramp! I am always very pleased with the suprising agility of the 5-series; these shocks help it even more. Body roll is as neglegible as you can expect from a car this heavy (with this much comfort most importantly). I do feel that the chasis could use a bit of added stiffness. But, I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't my race car and there are some trade-off's to keep the comfort that my other car does not have.

Eibach or H&R springs will be added later on for a little better performance, but mostly for looks.
    -Seth- Vancouver, WA

535im is gone...

are you on stock springs then?
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    are you on stock springs then?
    You might want to take the time to actually read the post before you ask pointless questions.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Once you put on the lowered springs, you'll know the difference. Try a car with Koni's and you'll know the difference. I have Bilstein HD with stock springs and I can fell the Bilstein harshness that you never feel with a Koni. There is a difference. I cannot comment on KYB in a BMW application.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

I have bilsteins all around, and the ride is firm.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by s_ribbens
    Comfort/drivability- How anyone could possibly think these shocks are harsh or too stiff is beyond me. Regardless of what I drove over, the shocks do a wonderful job with complacency. Rough rail road tracks are barely felt and rough joints on the freeway are neglegible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    I have bilsteins all around, and the ride is firm.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    He is using stock springs, i am using shorter and stiffer springs.
    southwest WA

I have the Bilstein Sport/H&R combo, and they're pretty great - bounce & jounce are just about spot on. Roads in and around NYC are pretty bad, and I find the Billies work v. well. That said, I haven't figured out what I want to do on the sway bars, so my opinion could change depending on what I end up with on the bars.

Also, I fully agree on the quality of the Bilstein instructions - As you did, I just sort of had to hope/assume that ther perches were positioned correctly as they came out of the box.
    1989 325iX 5spd Coupe Koni Adjustable/H&R
    1989 535i 5spd Bilstein Sports/H&R, Tri-Flo, Conforti, UUC SSK

"If it isn't Diamondschwartz, it isn't... Dark Grey?"

Thanks for posting this as I'm in the market at the moment. I wonder if the sports will be too stiff for my lighter 525i???
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast