GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Six Engine upgrades

Default Big Six Engine upgrades

Hello.

Owner of 1989 535i, I like it alot. I am a tech for Aston Jag and want to know more about this era in BMW cars. I would like to modify the big six with either 2 turbos or a super charger. Also tweek the suspension, upgrade trans, and LS Diff. Pretty much everything possible to give my 5 series its ultimate unquie look and hand craftsmanship.

Well I am new to the forum and am willing to help anyone.

I am looking for great resources for used parts, replacement parts, tech knowledge, and support.

thanks alot,

Scott

I think you came to the right place! Good luck
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

supercharger will be more difficult. a twin turbo setup has been done, google "Alpina b-10 Bi-Turbo" it was a from the factory m30 engine tweaked with two garrett t-25 turbos for minimal lag. for big HP gains and such, check out turbocharging dynamics' kit, it's good for about 400+ hp.

resources: www.bmwe34.net
    parts: BMA Autoparts (google for contact info, but CALL them)
    tech knowledge: you've come to the right place
    support: hell yeah we support you, just post pictures, and make sure to fill out your info.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Give them time and their universal should be a good fit.

www.ststurbo.com

I'm actually pro-supercharger, but this new setup and concept seems pretty awesome in terms of heat, lag and plumbing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    Give them time and their universal should be a good fit.

www.ststurbo.com

I'm actually pro-supercharger, but this new setup and concept seems pretty awesome in terms of heat, lag and plumbing issues.
    NOt many people do it on the e34. There is some awesome info and good factory parts/engineering around from the old e23 745i (same motor but with additional oil plumbing on the main bearings that can be added to a standard M30 when the short block is in the shop). Search this forum for good links- I've posted a few in the past. It makes the job much easier to be able to consider how the factory made such old turbos last and be so reliable.

Just make sure you don't stick it up high in the engine bay or near any plastic or heat-affectable componentry as it can look like this. ie

The M30 is slanted over so the factory fitted the turbos down the bottom where there was plenty of airflow and very little non-metal parts to take the grilling. Schnitzer and I guess Alpina made twin turbo manifolds for them as these were developed by Schnitzer for the (early) M88-powered 3.0 CSL racing cars back in the late 70s. The M88 if you don't know is an M30 block with a twin cam top-end and go fast gear. It is the precursor (in many cases mechanically identical) to the engine that powers the e28 and e34 M5s; the S38 which came in 4 or so variants (ie they get different cams, compression, stroke and bore so they can have capacities that are anywhere from 3200 to 3800cc). The B10 Bi-Turbo Alpina had an excellent setup (LHD only as the RHD cannot fit the same manifold due to the steering box location). It delivered over 380BHP in showroom tune.

I don't know for sure but the 850BHP variants used in the racing CSLs are (I think) Kugelfischer injected, blue-printed versions of these with awesome electronics (at the time) which is easy to do now given the advances and availability of combustion monitoring, sensors, engine controllers and safety devices.

It'd be really good to get more info on the mechanical setups used in those old CSLs...

Check out Turbo Charging Dynamics of course... I expect that they know their Bimmers.
    Last edited by genphreak; 07-15-2006 at 06:13 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I would rather buy B10 Bi-Turbo, with chip you can get ~500 reliable hp out of her.

speaking of power, where has Beetos been, with his 700+hp monstrosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks guys.

I saw the Alpina B10 Bi Turbo, I was totally oblivious to that. Thanks for the link. I got a bunch of figures off of that site, basic figures like the C/R, Ign. Timing, max boost pressures, setup of the turbos.
    I will check out the other links, ststurbo and turbo charging dynamics.

I for sure know that the entire exhuast will be different, the lubrication system will have to be constantly pressurized, cooling system upgrade, electric fan upgrade, modification to crank journals for piston oil squirters, the Bosch motronic 1.2 DME, im guessing little changes to engine wiring harness, the modern air flow meter(heated wire), Different cam, the correct C/R and ign timing, fuel delievery(I wonder if there is a higher output fuel pump), Injectors(I read somewhere someone had mods with ford fuel injs., anyone hear that?)..I know theres more definetly.

But for now Im staying basic, first off starting with the mechanics of the compressor. I know that it is going to be higher pressure, higher temp(combustion chamber) higher temp under hood, more stress on components etc.

So I am startng with a block. Genfreak, I am going to research the e23 745i blocks. You mentioned additional lube plumbing to the M30 which is great news to hear. Thank you.

Ill look into kits also for reference and practicality thanks angrypancake

Snakeyestx thanks for the link.

Will keep in touch If Im not too busy with work. We are very busy and its been 3 weeks since I have continued the project. And plus ASE tests are here, busy busy.

Take care fellas

Scott

Default I don't get it?

Why modify the E34 535i to such extreme? Do you realize your dealing with a car that weighs in excess of 3500 lb?

If you really want a *fast* BMW, why not find yourself a nice E30 3 Series and go for it? It will be faster, handle better, and guess what, get better mileage. Guess what Bruno did?

I have a 1990 535i, 5spd, 107K miles. Its a great car. But I would never consider such extreme modifications. For what?

Then again, if you really must, why not check out what Red Five did:

http://www.redfivemotorsport.com/home.htm

Notice he's on a "hiatus" trying to pay off his *racing debt*.....

Some people just love the look man, im in love with my car, if i had the money i would do the exact same thing. even if it wasnt as fast as a 3 all done up.

i just love the lines

J.McWatters

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast