GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery install question

Default battery install question

After reading through some posts here, I bought a durlast 49-DL to replace an optima that's been giving me some problems the last couple of weeks. The optima was install by a previous owner a couple years back.

The duralast is much bigger than the optima that it replaced. I don't know what was stock and what was not, but the optima was sitting on a foam pad (about 3/8 inch thick). There was also another foam pad between the mounting bracket and top of the battery(same material). I suppose this allowed a nice snug fit. I managed to get the new battery in place(on top of this foam pad), but the mounting aluminum bracket is a pain was a total pain in the ass to get attached(particularly to the end at the top of the battery. Now let me get to the problems/questions.

1) nearly impossible to get the bracket installed with foam pad (are they supposed to be there, or a mod that the PO used to get the optima to fit better?).
    2) the battery is taller than the optima and I can't get anything to hold the nut at the top end of the mounting bracket while I tighten the screw-- the gap between the battery and the metal that the bracket mounts to on the seat frame is too small (maybe the foam pad the battery is sitting on is causing this problem).
    3) When the bracket is installed its interfering (squeezing) the vent tube. The vent port sits behind the bracket. I don't think its compressed enough to prevent flow, but its hard to tell.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

the optima batt is NOT designed to fit in the E34.

im using a block of wood, im sure that no other battery would fit with that in there.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default I have no foam pad at all, either top or bottom.

Javier

I also have no foam padding at all. The correct battery is a rectangular one about a foot in length and maybe 6" high and 4" deep. I can't remember the model number, but that is what the factory battery and my replacement from NTB looked like.

the 49DL is the correct battery, remove the hack foam stuff and it should fit like a glove. remember to route the vent tube to the underside of the car.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default As Jeff said the 49dl is the correct size battery , thats what

came in it originally, if you remove all the foam that was added for the optima and slide the battery all the way toward the passenger side you'll see there's just barely enough room for the vent tube to clear the clamp, its real close but the tube isn't compressed.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    After reading through some posts here, I bought a durlast 49-DL to replace an optima that's been giving me some problems the last couple of weeks. The optima was install by a previous owner a couple years back.

The duralast is much bigger than the optima that it replaced. I don't know what was stock and what was not, but the optima was sitting on a foam pad (about 3/8 inch thick). There was also another foam pad between the mounting bracket and top of the battery(same material). I suppose this allowed a nice snug fit. I managed to get the new battery in place(on top of this foam pad), but the mounting aluminum bracket is a pain was a total pain in the ass to get attached(particularly to the end at the top of the battery. Now let me get to the problems/questions.

1) nearly impossible to get the bracket installed with foam pad (are they supposed to be there, or a mod that the PO used to get the optima to fit better?).
    2) the battery is taller than the optima and I can't get anything to hold the nut at the top end of the mounting bracket while I tighten the screw-- the gap between the battery and the metal that the bracket mounts to on the seat frame is too small (maybe the foam pad the battery is sitting on is causing this problem).
    3) When the bracket is installed its interfering (squeezing) the vent tube. The vent port sits behind the bracket. I don't think its compressed enough to prevent flow, but its hard to tell.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

On a similar note, what's this that I've read in some threads about protective pads to prevent any crap from the battery spilling out on the metal frame and corroding it? Should I bother?

Default No, i've never had anything spill out of mine in the rear ,its

spotless, if you start getting corrosion back there then typically its overcharging and the vent tube isn't hooked up. Or the seal where the lead battery post comes out of the case is bad , if thats the case then the corrosion and leakage around the terminal is obvious and you take the battery back. Some people who tighten the battery terminals down without holding onto the battery clamp can tweek the post hard enough to break the seal at the case. Don't overtighten the terminals and always hold the battery cable end with one hand while tightening the terminal with the other so that no force is applied pulling the battery post to one side.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

On a similar note, what's this that I've read in some threads about protective pads to prevent any crap from the battery spilling out on the metal frame and corroding it? Should I bother?

here's some visuals....

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Thanks Q. I saw some of those photos before in a thread, but last night at 10pm out in the dark under a drop light sweating bullets, I just couldn't remember if the foam was part of the equation or not. I played it safe and in doing so I struggled for hours. I'm expecting to go home remove the foam and have the battery back in properly in less than 20 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast